Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How To Calculate Number Of Kids Allowed Based On Room Square Footage (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46968)

zosim 06-19-2012 08:31 AM

How To Calculate Number Of Kids Allowed Based On Room Square Footage

Hi guys,

Anyone know how to determine the number of kids (not infants) I can put in the room based on the square footage?

For example, I have a 9x10 feet room. In NJ, the indoor square footage requirement is 35 sq ft. per child. Obviously I don't divide the room square footage of 90 (9x10) by 35 because that would give me only about 2.5 kids.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Unregistered 06-19-2012 08:50 AM

That would be correct.You need 35 square feet so you would need a room or rooms that equaled to how many kids you have enrolled.
6 kids =210 sq. feet.
7kids= 245 sq. feet and so on...
Your 9X10 room is big enough for 2 kids.

snbauser 06-19-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by zosim:
Hi guys,

Anyone know how to determine the number of kids (not infants) I can put in the room based on the square footage?

For example, I have a 9x10 feet room. In NJ, the indoor square footage requirement is 35 sq ft. per child. Obviously I don't divide the room square footage of 90 (9x10) by 35 because that would give me only about 2.5 kids.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, that is exactly how you do it. Square footage of the room divided by the number of square feet needed per child.

Heidi 06-19-2012 11:41 AM

but, that doesn't mean that you can only enroll that many children. The space you use for other activities, such as art, eating, etc, should also be counted. So, you can't close off that tiny room and make all the children stay in there all day. But, you can use that as the main toy room, and then have other activities nearby, such as in the dining room or living room (a reading nook, perhaps?).

I have a very similar set up, so the toys are in the 8 x 10 room, and that's where they stay. That room in the most "safe-tied" of all my rooms. There is nothing in there kids could get into an cause a problem, so if I need to leave that room, I don't have to worry (of course, nothing is ever 100%, I know). I am always in sound, but not always in direct line of sight.

In the nearby kitchen/dinning combo, there are art supplies available. So, if a child wants to color or cut or do playdough, they come out to the table. I sort of wander back and forth if there are kids in both rooms. Usually, honestly, everyone pretty much follows-the-leader, and if one person does art, everyone else wants to as well. We also use the kitchen/dining for cooking activities and meals.

I do allow the children to bring books from the book-rack out of the playroom.

MelissaP 12-06-2017 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Heidi:
but, that doesn't mean that you can only enroll that many children. The space you use for other activities, such as art, eating, etc, should also be counted. So, you can't close off that tiny room and make all the children stay in there all day. But, you can use that as the main toy room, and then have other activities nearby, such as in the dining room or living room (a reading nook, perhaps?).

I have a very similar set up, so the toys are in the 8 x 10 room, and that's where they stay. That room in the most "safe-tied" of all my rooms. There is nothing in there kids could get into an cause a problem, so if I need to leave that room, I don't have to worry (of course, nothing is ever 100%, I know). I am always in sound, but not always in direct line of sight.

In the nearby kitchen/dinning combo, there are art supplies available. So, if a child wants to color or cut or do playdough, they come out to the table. I sort of wander back and forth if there are kids in both rooms. Usually, honestly, everyone pretty much follows-the-leader, and if one person does art, everyone else wants to as well. We also use the kitchen/dining for cooking activities and meals.

Weird question, but does this also include the bathroom space?

Cat Herder 12-06-2017 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MelissaP:

That would not be considered usable play space here. Hazards abound. :ouch:

That space counts into your time/space tax deductions though. likethis

Blackcat31 12-06-2017 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MelissaP:

http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-measure-your-home

daycarediva 12-07-2017 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Heidi:

check with your state because this set up wouldn't be ok in NY. Kids have to be in sight and sound at all times, unless they are 100% independent in the restroom or they are school age.

That is exactly how you figure it, and in my state, it has to be OPEN play space. So they will discount furniture.

I have a 19x26ft room, and two adjoining rooms, one is 8x8 and the other is 5x6. It took ALL of that to be licensed for 12, because of furniture and the ability to set out nap mats- our state requires 12" between mats with a 24" egress space throughout that cannot be blocked.