Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Teachers Kids/Summer Break (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28576)

MN Day Mom 03-22-2011 06:45 PM

Teachers Kids/Summer Break

This summer I will be dealing with multiple teachers wanting to reduce their days for the summer thus also reducing their fees.

What does everyone here do?? Do you give a break for the summer?

I was thinking of giving them a set holding fee per week and with this they can have X amount of hours each week if they want or need to use them.

Thoughts? What works for you??

daycare 03-22-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
This summer I will be dealing with multiple teachers wanting to reduce their days for the summer thus also reducing their fees.

What does everyone here do?? Do you give a break for the summer?

I was thinking of giving them a set holding fee per week and with this they can have X amount of hours each week if they want or need to use them.

Thoughts? What works for you??

I have teachers and I don't offer anything different for them than I do my other parents. Most of them will use the extended leave policy, which is half pay for one month. They can also use up to 5 days of free vacation days for each year that they have been here. I also give 3 sick days for each child each year.

Once they have used all of that up, there are no more discounts. So, if they leave their spot (has happened once) I can't promise that it will be here when they get back.

MissAnn 03-23-2011 03:45 AM

I am in the same boat....I have almost all teacher's kids.....but most of them are new, so I didn't save up all year for my low summer! I am going to muddle through this summer but next summer I will have new policies in place. They will have to pay for a minimum of 2 days per week at part time rate. That would end up equaling 1/2 of what they pay now.

For this summer....I gave them these options. All but one will require contracted days:

drop in: $30 per day....not contracted days
2 days per week: $50
3 days per week: $75
4-5 day per week $100

I am also offering a part time preschool program.....7:30-1:00:
2 days : $40
3 days: $60
4-5 days: $80

morgan24 03-23-2011 03:57 AM

Teachers around here do not like to pay for time their kids aren't in care. So I figure out my yearly fee and divided it by how ever many weeks they will be in care. So teachers pay more during the school year then my year around kids. They all have their salary paid yearly so they don't have to go without a paycheck in the summer, but I have not had one that wants to pay for christmas break, spring break or the summer.

mac60 03-23-2011 04:08 AM

I have in place a fee plan that is 1/2 rate for maternity leaves, leave of absence. They can bring their child 2 days per week for that rate. If it is less than full time family, I offer 1/2 rate but 1 days per week to bring them.

I don't offer non payment for their Christmas or Spring break. Pay whether here or not.

The idea of a higher rate thru the school year could work too, but I still would not offer non payment of the breaks.

Blackcat31 03-23-2011 06:58 AM

I do not offer breaks to families who have part of the year off. They can pay for their spots or not. If they don't pay to hold the spot, they are essentially giving the space up because if I allow a teacher to get a break for their situation, then I need to allow people who don't work because of the weather, and people who are only on-call, or those who have all sorts of different situations get a break...pretty soon everyone will be getting a break and I will be losing an paycheck...can't do it.

If you have a weird job/schedule/break/situation...it is your problem to deal with it not mine. I am a childcare business that is for profit and I have specific hours of service and if you want those hours, pay for them and they are yours.

MN Day Mom 03-23-2011 07:01 AM

I'm thinking I will give them a couple options to choose from...

Set days of 2 or 3 days with a set amount.... or they can continue to pay full rate and come as they wish. I know one of them will be doing some part time days with summer school so she will need some days. I want all the kids to come some days each week just to keep up with my routine and rules.

SimpleMom 03-23-2011 07:16 AM

I have a holding fee of $50.00/wk and they can bring in their little ones for up to two days if they wish (any of the open hours).

bgmeyers 03-23-2011 07:20 AM

This is what I have thanks to the help of people here:

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required

dEHmom 03-23-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by bgmeyers:
This is what I have thanks to the help of people here:

EXTENDED LEAVE/MATERNITY LEAVE/SUMMER LEAVE
If you request a leave of absence for more than two weeks, you will be required to pay a part time rate of at least two days per week for up to 12 weeks. Your child may attend during this time any two consistent days that work for both of us. If a holiday falls on one of your days, you will be required to pay for that holiday. You may pay for additional days at the part time rate if space is available. After 12 weeks, full tuition is required

I like this.

I have noticed some people have ridiculously low holding fees, and while I understand it's income still, and that it's just to secure the spot, it's so low.

I choose for my holding fee to be 50% of regular fees, and even that is a pretty darn good discount. some people only ask for like $40/week and I don't think that's right. Personally I agree with what some have stated above, take the chance and not pay but you may not have a spot to come back to. OR pay the regular rates, and keep your spot, use it as you will.

I would never offer a teacher a free summer. Maybe a discounted rate to hold it, but I'd probably try and fill it temporarily while they are not using it as well.

I rely on my income, and to have to go 2 or 3 months without it, would be ridiculous.

Teachers are paid for the months they are not teaching in one lump sum. So they can learn to budget accordingly. And they should be pros at budgeting and should completely understand your need for budgeting as well :)

daysofelijah 03-23-2011 08:18 AM

Most of the time I can line up a school ager to take their spot so I don't lose out on too much income.

If I can't, I charge either $100/month to hold the spot, or offer them to come 2 days a week at the daily rate. I've had parents do either. I know the $100/month is a big loss, but I also feel it's nice to have less kids during the summer when I can.

:(:confused::mad:;):ouch::p:Sunny::D:Kiss::):lol::o:rolleyes::cool::eek: (dd wanted the smilies)

dEHmom 03-23-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
:(:confused::mad:;):ouch::p:Sunny::D:Kiss::):lol::o:rolleyes::cool::eek: (dd wanted the smilies)

good job! :lol::lol:

Abigail 03-23-2011 12:00 PM

For the extended leave, do you have it written as part of your contract or a separate contract? How would you keep track of how many weeks they were at and what days both of you agreed upon if it is not a separate contract? Do you ask for the parents to give a written request to keep it with the extended leave contract?

ninosqueridos 03-23-2011 12:10 PM

My teachers can go down to 3 days per week minimum (they would be SET days per week and they could attend or not attend) and only for July and August. Our school year goes through the last week of June, so it would end up being about 8 or 9 weeks, one of which is my vacation so it's not too bad.

HappyPennie 04-26-2012 08:10 AM

Those of you that charge half rate for them over the summer, do you still full the spot with drop ins if the child isn't going to be there?

MizzCheryl 04-26-2012 09:36 AM

I used to give breaks to teachers but I quit!
I have found if you give someone special treatment they EXPECT special treatment. The great teachers I have had over the years don't even ask for a breakhappyface They pay and are happy to cause their kids has a very limited space in a great Daycare. The ones I gave cut rates to started being late all the time and taking advantage of me. No more breaks for anyone.

Meeko 04-26-2012 01:01 PM

Not really understanding why teachers get special so much.

For example:

Teacher gets her day care place held over the summer for free or a greatly reduced rate...even though she is still getting paid year round.

Construction dad works a lot less during the winter, AND he doesn't get paid as much..... but he pays full price for his kids care regardless.......

Seems unfair to me. Either everybody gets special or nobody does.

I charge everybody the same regardless of what they do for a living.

Meeko 04-26-2012 01:04 PM

Teachers think that they shouldn't have to pay their day care provider for services they aren't receiving????

I wonder how it would go over if they were told that they weren't getting paid over the summer because they weren't actually teaching?????

Country Kids 04-26-2012 01:09 PM

We actually have some teachers that are having to repay money back for this coming summer because the school district overbudgeted and now needs the money back!

The teachers are threatening a strike because of that.

Blackcat31 04-26-2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Meeko:
Teachers think that they shouldn't have to pay their day care provider for services they aren't receiving????

I wonder how it would go over if they were told that they weren't getting paid over the summer because they weren't actually teaching?????

Here our teacher have a choice to receive their yearly salary over 9 months (bigger paychecks) with no pay in the summer or take the same yearly salary and receive it 12 months out of the year (smaller pay checks) .....which is why I do the same.

I take what I would have been paid over a 12 month time period and divide it into the 9 months they are here. Works pretty good so far.

Sprouts 04-26-2012 03:30 PM

Black cat or anyone here, do you charge for vacation that you take?

I personally would like to have teachers only because i miss having my summers off...does anyone here cater to teachers only?

Meeko 04-26-2012 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here our teacher have a choice to receive their yearly salary over 9 months (bigger paychecks) with no pay in the summer or take the same yearly salary and receive it 12 months out of the year (smaller pay checks) .....which is why I do the same.

I take what I would have been paid over a 12 month time period and divide it into the 9 months they are here. Works pretty good so far.

Now that's fair. They're still paying you the same amount as everyone else in the long run and getting their summers off without having to make a payment. A win/win for all.

But I have heard of those who simply want the same rate as everyone else during the school year and THEN want a spot held for free or a small fee over the summer. That's what rubs me wrong.

If a day care provider is financially well off enough to OFFER that, then awesome......but for a teacher to expect it is actually rude.

I currently don't have a teacher parent. But I do have a dad who works construction and he works less in the winter and his paychecks are less because of it. But sadly...that's life. He pays me anyway.

If I were to lose a bunch of kids and hit hard times financially.....my morgage company isn't going to give a hoot. Not their problem. I owe regardless. That's life.

Sprouts 04-26-2012 04:23 PM

SO what if a teacher decides to go with the lower payments, and take their chances over the summer and not hold their spot?

Since I just opened last August I havent adjusted my vacation dates yet in my contract, but i would def. like to have more teachers here.

bice99 04-26-2012 11:33 PM

I taught elementary school for 11 years before opening my childcare. I like having lighter summers. Here's what I do: letter goes home mid April with my summer contract attached. Due by May 1st. 3 options - continue care as is - hold for the summer - don't hold and take their chances. My hold rate is half of their normal tuition. All due by June 15th (this is new, I used to offer to split it into thirds). So my PT kids pay half of their PT rate. As a courtesy, they may bring their child 1/5 of normal days/hours. I get to pick the day/hours based on what works with my schedule. So a FT kid gets to come for 1 day. A 3 day/9 hr per day kid gets to come 5.5 hrs. I tell parents that way their kid still remembers me and I get to watch them grow over the summer and the fall transition isn't so hard. My PT rate is a minimum of 3 days so I didn't think it was fair to just let them pay for one day and come the whole day. It's worked great. I look at "direct care" time when I schedule. So the 5.5 hr kid comes 10 AM to 3:30 PM, napping at least 1-3. All of my teachers pay me once they understand why I do it this way. And the PITA family I had my first year had an easy out b/c I knew they wouldn't pay it and when they wanted their space in the fall, I simply told them I had filled it (whether I had or not)

iheartkids 04-27-2012 05:26 AM

I made a big mistake when I started with this! My first teacher's kid and I told her not to worry about the summer because I will probably have a school ager coming in the summer to fill her spot anyways. Now that summer is approaching I haven't heard from the school ager's parent yet and the teacher is recommending me to her other teacher friends. So if I were to take on any of her friends my contract with her will have to change...probably resulting in an upset mommy!

Blackcat31 04-27-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Black cat or anyone here, do you charge for vacation that you take?

I personally would like to have teachers only because i miss having my summers off...does anyone here cater to teachers only?

I take 2 weeks off per year. I charge ALL families 1/2 pay for these vacations. The one vacation is in the summer so the half rate is built in to the teachers rate already since they aren't actually in attendance during the summer. I also charge for 4 federal holidays that I am closed. Teachers also get No School days with no charge as there are only a few during the year and I look at those days as a bonus since the load is light on those days. Any other time I close, I do not charge anyone.

Originally Posted by Sprouts:
SO what if a teacher decides to go with the lower payments, and take their chances over the summer and not hold their spot?

Since I just opened last August I havent adjusted my vacation dates yet in my contract, but i would def. like to have more teachers here.

If a teacher decides to go with the lower rate (which I don't have as an option anymore as I now divide their payments up into 9 months vs 12) they would "risk" losing their space as I cannot afford to simply let an empty space sit and wait.....I USED to fill them with SA kids but no longer take SA'ers so that is the reason I changed up my teacher rate.

Originally Posted by iheartkids:
I made a big mistake when I started with this! My first teacher's kid and I told her not to worry about the summer because I will probably have a school ager coming in the summer to fill her spot anyways. Now that summer is approaching I haven't heard from the school ager's parent yet and the teacher is recommending me to her other teacher friends. So if I were to take on any of her friends my contract with her will have to change...probably resulting in an upset mommy!

I would tell this teacher mom that you were able to accommodate her child's "absence" in the past however, you are no longer financially able to do so and she will need to either pay to hold her space (using whatever method you choose) or she will risk losing her space over the summer.

I have always made a point of telling my DCP's that I will accommodate any long term absences IF and onl IF I am able to but in the event that I am unable to do so, it is THEIR responsibility to pay to hold the space or lose it. Just because something works out great one year doesn't mean it always will. kwim? :)

bice99 04-27-2012 08:08 AM

I forgot to add that last year I change my handbook so that families may not use their 1/2 rate vacation weeks during my own paid vacations, maternity leave or summer hold time. They are already getting a deal during that time. And when I go on vacation for 2 weeks in the summer, my summer holds still have to pay me their 1/2 rate even though their child isn't able to attend on those weeks. It took a bit to get my returning parents to understand the change. I told them I'm losing out on FT $ for holding their spots. They are paying to hold a FUTURE spot. If they want to come for up to 9 hrs, one day per week all summer (guaranteed), then they can pay my 3 days/week minimum. BTW my teachers are all only PT anyway, so that's their normal rate. LOL.

wahmof3 04-27-2012 08:51 AM

Figures

So the thread about Summer/Teachers has me thinking.

What all goes into your fees?

I started 6 years ago and set my fees according to what a couple of daycare friends pretty much told me I should charge. I really never put a great deal of thought into it. Never have raised my rates either.

I started out with a daily rate, that has ended up biting me in the tush. This year I changed to a flat rate, but still leaves me losing money through the summer. I really really like having mostly teachers kids :) I would love to be able to put money into my savings during the school year to help offset the loss during the summer, but we currently live paycheck to paycheck. Making that extremely difficult.

I am just trying to toss some numbers around. Get some fresh ideas.

bice99 04-27-2012 09:33 AM

I know some people who charge teachers more during the school year and then they don't pay in the summer. Stock it away in a savings account until the summer comes.

mac60 05-01-2012 05:21 PM

I recently interviewed a teacher family. Just received a msg that they picked someone else that was more flexible with the summers and other time off throughout the school year. What they meant is they found someone who will give them "free". If I was to give this family "free" for weeks they took off, it would translate into approximately 4 months off "free" when you add up summer weeks, Spring break week, Christmas weeks, Thanksgiving week, all the Monday holidays/school closing days, etc. They don't get it at all, and they are college educated, which really means nothing to me. :rolleyes: I think she called me a "sitter" about 3 times in the msg, and that I am not. :rolleyes:

I offered them $90 per week, pay whether you are here or not, and 1/2 rate during summers. They wanted "free". :confused:

Unregistered 05-08-2012 09:52 PM

Paying more through the school months makes sense, especially for those who aren't paid year around. Divide their annual fees by the months they are there, and keep their spot over the summer. Fill it with PT'ers and you're ahead of the game IF you've put the extra fees away through the year.

I know a few teachers who appreciate this option, and one provider who filled her daycare with teacher's kids and set up payment this way. She was off the same time teachers were but still paid the same so she skipped having part-timers in the summer and just took the time off.

jen 05-09-2012 06:13 AM

I always liked having teachers....the hours, the days off. I didn't charge them for summer, but had them leave a deposit for the following year.

WDW 05-09-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by JenJen:
Those of you that charge half rate for them over the summer, do you still full the spot with drop ins if the child isn't going to be there?

I wondered this too. I don't charge them anything over the summer, but I have them give me two weeks (nonrefundable) for their spot. If they return they get to apply that towards the first two weeks of daycare in the fall.

I also don't give them any unpaid days when school is in session. My non-teacher kids get so many days "free" but teachers pay me everyday while school is on, even if I take a day off. This includes spring break and Christmas break. Then they get a free summer. I think this is more than generous, but you'd be annoyed by how many of them are here over the breaks "since we are paying." :lol:

momma2girls 05-10-2012 01:23 PM

I charge 2 weeks holding fee during the summer, for my 3 families.

E Daycare 05-11-2012 06:26 AM

I have mostly teacher kids too and will be sending out my note home about summer schedules tonight. I know the kids might come once a week and my policy is $25/mo for held spot so the once a week covers it (and then some)lol. I really like my break in the summer so I don't push any type of "set schedule", I just ask they let me know before 7:30 the night before if the kids will come that next day. That worked wonderfully last year and hopefully I'll have the same type of summer this year. I also place an ad for prn summer care too but most of the time I don't even bother picking up extra kids because I plan so much with my son.

I'm really looking forward to summer break. I wish I had taken on ALL teachers kids. I'm lucky most of my teacher parents want to spend the summer with their kids ( or it could be financial, they may not be able to afford through the summer too).

Either way, I do a happy dance come the beginning of june. happyface

momma2girls 05-11-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meeko:

I hear you, one family I have, comes every single day, no matter what!!!!

momma2girls 05-11-2012 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I have mostly teacher kids too and will be sending out my note home about summer schedules tonight. I know the kids might come once a week and my policy is $25/mo for held spot so the once a week covers it (and then some)lol. I really like my break in the summer so I don't push any type of "set schedule", I just ask they let me know before 7:30 the night before if the kids will come that next day. That worked wonderfully last year and hopefully I'll have the same type of summer this year. I also place an ad for prn summer care too but most of the time I don't even bother picking up extra kids because I plan so much with my son.

I'm really looking forward to summer break. I wish I had taken on ALL teachers kids. I'm lucky most of my teacher parents want to spend the summer with their kids ( or it could be financial, they may not be able to afford through the summer too).

Either way, I do a happy dance come the beginning of june. happyface

I will be doing the happy dance at the end of May!!!!

momma2girls 05-11-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by WDW:
I wondered this too. I don't charge them anything over the summer, but I have them give me two weeks (nonrefundable) for their spot. If they return they get to apply that towards the first two weeks of daycare in the fall.

I also don't give them any unpaid days when school is in session. My non-teacher kids get so many days "free" but teachers pay me everyday while school is on, even if I take a day off. This includes spring break and Christmas break. Then they get a free summer. I think this is more than generous, but you'd be annoyed by how many of them are here over the breaks "since we are paying." :lol:

If I made my teacher's pay full price during Christmas and Spring breaks, I know of at least one of my family's would bring their children here every day!!! I give them 1/2 the weekly rate, to keep their children at home with them

Unregistered 05-18-2012 04:57 PM

Teacher Perspective

Take a look at teacher salaries, teachers are paid for days of work. (usually 184 days)

Teachers are not paid for days that they do not work (summer). The can choose to have their pay spread out over 12 months.

As a day care provider, you are wanting to be paid for not working. If you can get this business good for you. Average teacher takes home $3500 a month, average day care nets $8000 a month (based on 8 kids). Thanks for providing care to our kids, but don't be greedy about it.

Blackcat31 05-19-2012 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Take a look at teacher salaries, teachers are paid for days of work. (usually 184 days)

Teachers are not paid for days that they do not work (summer). The can choose to have their pay spread out over 12 months.

As a day care provider, you are wanting to be paid for not working. If you can get this business good for you. Average teacher takes home $3500 a month, average day care nets $8000 a month (based on 8 kids). Thanks for providing care to our kids, but don't be greedy about it.

:eek: Holy buckets! Where in the world did you get that information? $8,000 per month! Do you mean centers or family child care because they are two VERY different settings and two VERY different rate policies but if you meant family child care then WOW! I want to live where you live!! I have more than 8 kids and have been FULL for many many years and I have never ever netted $8000 in a month AND I am on the higher side for what I charge for rates!!!!

My state ranks 16th for average teacher salaries and the average income for teachers in my state is $50,545 per year.

I found teacher salaries to be pretty interestig according to the AFT: http://www.employmentspot.com/employ...eacher-salary/
here is another site that list daycare costs per year. http://www.doodledays.com/index.php?...=61&Itemid=112

As you can see center care varies a lot from family child care and the fact that whether your child is an infant, toddler, preschooler or school ager also plays a huge role in costs. Simply saying child care providers net $8000 per month is unfair when there are so many variables involved.

I suppose the same can be siad about teacher's too. Whether you work in specialized teaching, elementary, middle or high school all plays a role in salary. Not to mention admin departments and other positions in the education departments.

FWIW~ for teacher's children, I charge a higher rate during the year to make up for summer absences as one option, the other option is to pay like everyone else and continue to attend like everyone else. I currently have 4 teachers and 3 come/pay all year and 1 stays home and takes the higher rate option. NONE have complained or thought I was unfair.

daycare 05-19-2012 08:07 AM

I am with blackcat not sure where you got your numbers, but unlike you, we have to go and find kids to fill spots when they are left empty. It can take weeks or months to do so. Especially in today's job market, there are a lot of people who are unemployed, leaving daycare providers with empty spots.

We are paid by the number of kids that are in our care, not a salary. So if I charge $25.00 per kid each day and I have 3 kids, then I have $75.00. I plan for that money and have obligations to my family just like any other working mom. Being a provider is a not a hobby for most of us, it's a career.

So now you have a teachers child and you need to let them go for the summer. Well you just lost $500.00 a month. That is a lot of money to lose. Since summer is only 2.5 months, there is no way that most of us would ever find a temporary replacement to come in and fill that Teacher's CHILD spot to recover that money.I am assuming that the teacher will need daycare again in the fall, so do we tell the family that took the open spot in the summer to uproot their child and move on so that the Teacher's child can have the spot back that they didn't pay for?

Unlike your job, your students are there and return in full numbers, because it is the LAW that all children attend school. You are paid your full salary if your students are in attendance or not.

Would you like to only be paid by the amount of students you had in your class? I am sure if there were options for students and parents to choose teachers, it would turn just as competitive as the Childcare world.

mac60 05-19-2012 09:20 AM

In our district, teachers get paid 12 mo a year. Their salary is spread out over 12 months and they only work approx 8 months once you deduct all the breaks, holidays, days off, etc. This does not include their extensive benefit package. I would give anything to have a job making 50 grand per year and only work 8 months a year. Do I feel sorry for teachers. Heck no.

Willow 05-19-2012 11:12 AM

, average day care nets $8000 a month (based on 8 kids).

For fun we should totally do that math....:

The claim is a net of $8000 a month for 8 kids.

Breaks down to $1000 a month each child or $250 a week.

Divide that by an average 40 hour work week, comes out to $6.25/hour

x8 kids ='s a home daycare provider raking in $50/HOUR

$96,000 a YEAR!!!!!!!

HOLY BUCKETS IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Apparently I am living in the wrong geographical area :lol:

itlw8 05-19-2012 01:09 PM

I like having a lighter summer ... mine come 3 days a week... set days and I do not do p/t infant care.

That is my rule but I have one family that comes 2x a week and then I have another new child filling the opening left. They have to take the days I give them and no switching on holidays.

itlw8 05-19-2012 01:17 PM

Wow that would be 96,000 a year is that before or after expenses????

too bad after expenses my tax return said I made 10,000 last year.