Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare and Taxes (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Opening New Daycare (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43508)

rworkman 03-21-2012 10:55 AM

Opening New Daycare

Im thinking of opening up a new daycare. Not state certified just under a business licence. In the state of Alaska i can have 4 kids including my own that i can have under my licence. Is there any new advice on how to get this up and running. I started babysitting for a friend and relized that i like the money coming in to help my husband and i can stay home with my two kids. I dont know how any of the business aspects work as to filing taxes, what can and cannot be written off. I have recently started saving recipts and things that i buy for these kids just to train myself to save them. Any advice from y'all would be greatly appreciated!

Blackcat31 03-21-2012 11:22 AM

Welcome to the forum! :Sunny:

I don't have much advice since every state varies so much on what it takes to start, open and run a child care that your best bet is to hang around her and ask questions as you have them and read old posts. Use the tag search and enter any key words relating to the question or situation you are wondering about.

We do have one member that I know for sure is in Alaska (Polar Care...I think). Maybe she will come online and can be a big help for you.

I also upgraded your status so you can post freely now without having to wait for your posts to be moderated. :-)

TomCopeland 03-21-2012 02:53 PM

getting started

Originally Posted by rworkman:
Im thinking of opening up a new daycare. Not state certified just under a business licence. In the state of Alaska i can have 4 kids including my own that i can have under my licence. Is there any new advice on how to get this up and running. I started babysitting for a friend and relized that i like the money coming in to help my husband and i can stay home with my two kids. I dont know how any of the business aspects work as to filing taxes, what can and cannot be written off. I have recently started saving recipts and things that i buy for these kids just to train myself to save them. Any advice from y'all would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the three most important rules to follow as you get started (regarding your business):
1) Save all receipts for anything associated with maintaining, cleaning or repairing your home
2) Keep track of all the meals and snacks you serve to each child
3) Keep track (for at least 2 months) of all of the hours you work in your home when children are not present (cleaning, record keeping, activity preparation, etc.)

Check out my blog that has a lot of info for new providers:http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

Unregistered 03-22-2012 06:43 AM

How many children of your own do you have? What state are you in?

In Illinois, when they say you can have 3 children including your own unlicensed. If you have 2 of your own, you can only watch 1. Much more benefits to operating licensed. More tax benefits when you are legaltoo.

TGPII 03-22-2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How many children of your own do you have? What state are you in?

In Illinois, when they say you can have 3 children including your own unlicensed. If you have 2 of your own, you can only watch 1. Much more benefits to operating licensed. More tax benefits when you are legaltoo.

Option 1: In my state under State Board of Education I am aid/sub certified. Under Department of Children and Family Services I am director/teacher qualified My career goal is to get into management and become a director. I am looking for a job at a daycare were I can grown into that position. Can anyone please help. I live in Illinois near Chicago. I have experience as working as an aid in a ISBE public high school and working as a teacher in a DCFS private preschool. Any suggestions? Thanks. If this is posted in the wrong forum sorry. I was not sure what forum it belongs.

Option II: I can not do a home daycare I I do not own my home. I looked into franchising a daycare/preschool. Most franchisee want you to own the building/property and business Also most will not let you be owner and director. I heard there are companies that will help you start a daycare. I would like to rent a place for a daycare. I would like it located close to a public park, so I do not have to put up my own playground. Also, I like to be my own director. If this is in the wrong forum sorry, and let me know. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :eek: