Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Prospective Client Wants FT One Week And PT The Next (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86027)

trix23 04-19-2017 07:34 AM

Prospective Client Wants FT One Week And PT The Next

Been getting a lot of inquiries for

FT one week then off the next
FT one week then PT the next

And they all want to pay per use (like FT pay one week then PT the next).

I charge $150/week for 4-5 days and $115/week for 2-3 dsys, so I was thinking either $130/week for a FT/PT alternating schedule, or something similar as I need clients. Only have 1 drop-in and 1 part time currently. But I also don't want to sell myself short (ie: should I charge FT both weeks?)

Input!

Blackcat31 04-19-2017 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by trix23:

I charge $150/week for 4-5 days and $115/week for 2-3 dsys, so I was thinking either $130/week for a FT/PT alternating schedule, or something similar as I need clients. Only have 1 drop-in and 1 part time currently. But I also don't want to sell myself short (ie: should I charge FT both weeks?)

Input!

So they want you to lose income every other week so they can save money?

Do you have other families interested in the opposite weeks this family doesn't need? If not, it seems to me needing care only on alternating weeks is the FAMILY'S situation to figure out, not yours.

~Unless you WANT to lose income saving space not used so someone else can save money. ;)

LysesKids 04-19-2017 07:44 AM

Input!

Im with BC... all my families know they are paying for the spot not the usage. I'm limited to 4 spaces & I'm not about to let someone else issues trump my income. I get full pay regardless if the child attends or not

Snowmom 04-19-2017 07:53 AM

I agree too.
I don't take a pay cut to benefit someone else's family.

I'd tell them that the spot is $150/week regardless.
OR
If they're not willing to pay FT for the spot... I'd enroll them at your rotating FT/PT rate and let them know that they will be bumped (lose the spot) when a FT family enrolls with you.

childcaremom 04-19-2017 08:08 AM

I would charge them FT regardless of whether their child is there or not as you are reserving the space for them.

Cat Herder 04-19-2017 08:18 AM

Tuition is $___ per week, attendance is not required. :Sunny:

As most PP suggested.

AmyKidsCo 04-19-2017 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So they want you to lose income every other week so they can save money?

Do you have other families interested in the opposite weeks this family doesn't need? If not, it seems to me needing care only on alternating weeks is the FAMILY'S situation to figure out, not yours.

~Unless you WANT to lose income saving space not used so someone else can save money. ;)

This.

If they want to reserve a full week for their use they need to pay for it, unless you can fill in with another family. In which case you charge 75% the regular amount to each family so you end up being paid 150% your regular amount for the PT weeks.

If you allow them to pay actual use you're subsidizing their care. I don't know about you, but all of my families are better off than I am financially so I don't feel bad about refusing to subsidize their care.

trix23 04-19-2017 08:50 AM

Would you change your stance if you were a new provider needing income? Lol.

Blackcat31 04-19-2017 08:56 AM

No. Personally, I wouldn't because I created policies that fit MY needs and if I waive or bend them now, I think it leaves the door open for resentment and stress to build.....

If you are willing to bend now because you need the money, you are always going to have to bend because we always need the money... it's a vicious cycle. :cool:

childcaremom 04-19-2017 09:04 AM

No. With an exception. (snowmom's suggestion from above BUT I would need to be desperate to fill)

I agree with BC's reasons.

One of the things I've learned is that there are always parents who are looking for the 'deal'. Those are not good clients. Trust me. ;) I get a lot of requests for this, as well. Typically from families whose income is more than triple mine. So, yeah, that's a no. I'm saving the spot for them, whether they attend or not. My business goal is to be full and I'd never be able to find someone to fill the gaps.

It is much easier to start off the way you wish to continue. I always state that full time tuition is due regardless of attendance. I may soften it a bit, depending, and offer that while I understand that this may not work for all families, it is what I've found works best for my business.

Or.... I just say for the schedule of one week FT and one week PT, as stated, the rate is xxxx. And quote them my full time rate. Then there isn't any quibbling.

trix23 04-19-2017 09:21 AM

That's true about the client looking for a deal. And I can definitely see how their income is double or triple my own, thus why do they need a discount. I've stuck by my policies and prices since opening in November but have had trouble even having 2 clients at the same time (not drop-ins).

Jupadia 04-19-2017 09:32 AM

No not again.

I did take one family on who had a rotating schedule. However if they did pay for all scedualded days. I did this when I first started out and regretted it. As I filled up it realy hampered me cause I never was able to fill the unused dsys cause most people need set dsys. I do not recomed it at all. The family was great but she is the one I cut when my ratios changed last year.

Mike 04-19-2017 09:59 AM

The only time I would allow varying hours with reduced rates is if I had others interested in the other hours. Even then, most available spaces will be for full time only.

childcaremom 04-19-2017 10:38 AM

That's true about the client looking for a deal. And I can definitely see how their income is double or triple my own, thus why do they need a discount. I've stuck by my policies and prices since opening in November but have had trouble even having 2 clients at the same time (not drop-ins).

I find things come in waves. Things have been slow here and are just starting to pick up again. It took me a while to fill up when I first started, as well.

You could always do as snowmom suggested. Take them as a filler family until a full timer comes along. Sometimes we have to alter things to make it work.

Good luck!

JackandJill 04-19-2017 10:53 AM

The only way I would do it, is that they understand that they will need to start paying the full-time rate or lose the spot if another full-time family comes along.

I know many people say don't bend your rules, and I agree, but I remember when I first opened, I made a lot of deals just to get families in the door.

The downside to this was I was not in control of my business in many ways, parents ran the show. But it kept the lights on and food on the table. As time went on I weeded out the bad apples and adjusted the hours, rules and fees for the families that I did want to keep.

Do what works for you, but just keep in mind that you may end up with much more stress along the way! Good luck!! :hug:

LysesKids 04-19-2017 11:48 AM

I regretted the few times I gave discounts... they turned out to be the worst to work with & families got booted within 6 months. I wouldn't do it again for anything and my income is the only one coming in.

hgonzalez 04-19-2017 11:57 AM

Here's what I do:

I charge for the spot for a minimum of three days per week. This is at a daily rate, per child. They pay me for three days per week, whether the children attend or not. If they need care for more than three days per week, then they pay me for each additional day.

They have to let me know their schedule by Friday the week before the children attend. Payment is due the first day their children attend for that week.

Ariana 04-19-2017 12:10 PM

I personally would do it and have done it. It works for me because I like part time kids and am never at full capacity on a weekly basis which I like.

Do they have a set schedule or does it change every single week? I would ask for a schedule up front and then charge a bi weekly fee based on that. I get a 2 week deposit upfront and then I charge bi weekly after care has occurred. You coukd invoice them after care has occurred or charge them a flat rate based on the schedule they gave you.

Charging AFTER care has occurred works the best in these situations in my opinion.

Blackcat31 04-19-2017 12:18 PM

I wanted to add that IF you do decide to accept this arrangement I would NOT bill them solely for the one full time week they do use but would bill them for those 5 days at your part time or even drop in rate.

In other words, if your normal full time weekly rate is say $150 (or $30 per day) I'd bill them at the minimum $200 ($40 per day) if not more. Bottom line is it has to be worth your time. :)

Ariana 04-19-2017 12:34 PM

I also wanted to add that this arrangement will make it hard for you to accept other clients because they are taking up a space so if you eventually get new clients looking for spots you could offer it to the current family first and then terminate and replace with the new clients if they don't want to pay the full rate. Basically do this until you get your spots filled. Up to you!

trix23 04-19-2017 06:46 PM

Black cat, do you mean $200 for the 2 weeks? Or for 1?

And I don't mind charging $130/week for an alternating schedule for FT and PT. Better than my low rate. They would def pick certain days and times for when they would come. I think I'm ok with doing this to get some $.

Blackcat31 04-20-2017 06:44 AM

Black cat, do you mean $200 for the 2 weeks? Or for 1?

And I don't mind charging $130/week for an alternating schedule for FT and PT. Better than my low rate. They would def pick certain days and times for when they would come. I think I'm ok with doing this to get some $.

I mean charging them for the week they do use.
I would make it clear to them the week they dont want to pay for is NOT available to them and that you will be filling it as you are able.

The ONLY way anyone reserves space here or is guaranteed space is available to them is by paying for it so if they only want to pay for one week then that week should be the ONLY week available to them.

As for the rate amount, I just meant I wouldn't charge them your regular weekly rate s(I would charge more) simply because they aren't regular weekly attendees....in an essence they ARE part timers. Part timers should be charged a much higher rate so that it's worth your time and so that they understand they are paying for the convenience of not having to commit to weekly payments 52 weeks a year.

Oh! and like a previous poster said, I'd definitely make sure you let them know that IF you have a situation where a family wants full time care, you'll give the current family first right of refusal for taking the full time space (paying for ALL weeks...even those not used) or you'll have to term to take the family that does want to use it every week.

Hopefully that all makes sense! :)

trix23 04-20-2017 08:11 AM

The first paragraph, I'm still lost by. :/

I'll maybe crunch some numbers and come up with a rare that I'd like. We are falling behind on bills so I need income. Not willing to give a deal but I would charge $130 each week for care for such arrangement.

AmyKidsCo 04-20-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
Here's what I do:

I charge for the spot for a minimum of three days per week. This is at a daily rate, per child. They pay me for three days per week, whether the children attend or not. If they need care for more than three days per week, then they pay me for each additional day.

They have to let me know their schedule by Friday the week before the children attend. Payment is due the first day their children attend for that week.

I've done that before too. The child was regularly scheduled for 3 days/week and they paid for 1 extra day ahead of time, then when she came extra days they brought a check for that day in the morning. Since they'd already paid ahead for an extra day the check was for the next extra day.

Blackcat31 04-20-2017 08:23 AM

The first paragraph, I'm still lost by. :/

Normal full time care would have an invoice like this for a 2 week period :

WEEK #1
M $30
T $30
W $30
Th $30
F $30

WEEK #2
M $30
T $30
W $30
Th $30
F $30

For a total of $300 for the 2 week period.

Care for the family that wants to only use and pay for every other week only would look like this:

WEEK #1
M $40
T $40
W $40
Th $40
F $40

WEEK #2
M $0
T $0
W $0
Th $0
F $0

For a total of $200 due for only the ONE week they use.

The week they do not use can be filled with someone else or you just have a quieter week. I would NOT allow the every other week family to use ANY time during their "off" week.

Make more or better sense?

Blackcat31 04-20-2017 08:24 AM

I used $150 as the rate for each week.
Broken down it is $30 per day.

You'd have to do the math if your regular weekly rate is only $130 instead of $150.

Controlled Chaos 04-20-2017 09:00 AM

I would do the 1 full week and 1 pt week while getting started. I would add my ft rate and pt rate then divide it by 2 to get the average. I would charge that amount every week. I like a constant income and the changing number from week to week would bug me. I would also tell them if a new family wanted to start needing the days EVERY week I would offer them the opportunity to go full time or the other family would get the spot. Ft gets priority but if you have no other takers right now I would take the current family even with the weird schedule. Just be clear about exactly what you want the agreement to be.

trix23 04-20-2017 02:54 PM

Yes, BlackCat, I get it now. :) I thought you meant my drop-in daily rate ($45) and was like "whoa...." lol.

I agree with the one above me - I like a consistent amount each time I'm paid- easier and less fuss. I quoted the following:

M-F one week, 2 days the next week
$115 is 2-3 days. $150 is 4-5 days.
So I quoted $130/week. Almost my FT rate. :D

Blackcat31 04-21-2017 06:44 AM

Yes, BlackCat, I get it now. :) I thought you meant my drop-in daily rate ($45) and was like "whoa...." lol.

I agree with the one above me - I like a consistent amount each time I'm paid- easier and less fuss. I quoted the following:

M-F one week, 2 days the next week
$115 is 2-3 days. $150 is 4-5 days.
So I quoted $130/week. Almost my FT rate. :D

Nice! Seems you are being paid well AND getting some quiet days for a nice income/not much loss!

As long as it works in your budget that is all that matters.

Next issue.... how old is the child(ren)?
Some kids can not manage every other week....the lack of attendance for that one week makes the next week like starting a new kid in care all over again... so sometimes figuring out the rate to charge is the easy part.....integrating the child(ren) to your routine, rules etc is a nightmare! :ouch:

Hoping if the family accepts your rate quote, that ^^ wont be an issue.

trix23 04-21-2017 07:48 AM

Very true. It's a full day week then 2-3 days the following for this particular family. Child is 19 months.