View Single Post
seashell 07:21 AM 07-27-2009
[quote=Ms.Sue;13127]
Originally Posted by mdjb_bryant:
I am starting an in home daycare. I am CPR certified, experienced, and have 2 children of my own. My question is if I keep one or two kids over the limit of what is required for an unlicensed daycare, does anyone know what they can do if I am turned in.
Originally Posted by mdjb_bryant:

First of all - you are really starting out on the wrong foot. It seems to me that your first order of business should not be to see "what i can get away with..?"
You should be focusing on your state requirements, health, safety, building codes, parking, emergency issues,
toys, equipment, expenses, budgets , insurance, and paying taxes.

Miss Sue,

I don't mean to step out of line here, but honestly, I find your post quite offensive. Why would you asume that a provider who is not licensed does not provide a safe and healthy enviroment? This is not a new debate on this board and honestly, I think we all need to respect each others views and circumstances. Not every state requires a license. Licensed or not, this does not assume quality in care. There are just as many sub standard licensed programs as their are unlicensed programs. Having held a license for many years, I don't believe in the system and am now proud to say that I am unlicensed. Government seeks to control more and more of our lives every day. I believe this leads to blind faith. The general population believes that holding a license insures quality. We only need to watch the evening news or read the paper to see that this is not the case. Licensed centers are in the news every day for abuse and neglect. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Parents should be looking out for their childen's well being, not the government. This is truly a matter of responsible parenting. Parents are at the program twice a day, dropping off and picking up. It is the parent's responsibility to assess the enviroment at that time. Parents know their children best. They see every scratched knee, they know if their child is crying at drop off, they see them laughing and playing at pick up time. They see the condition of the room, the toys, the safty level of the children's areas.

This goes beyond daycare as well. My ex husband owned a bar and held a liqour license. He never followed the rules, nor did any of his competetors, because if all the rules were followed, the business would go under due to the shear cost. Underage drinking is a rampid problem in bars because they need the money and the fines they will pay for getting caught are less than the money they make off the kids that they are serving. I am not saying all licensed facilities bar, daycare, whoever ignore the rules. What I am saying is that the system does not work to offer protection and that the public believes comes with a license.

It is up to parents to use their own eyes and ears to determine the quality of the program. A license is just a piece of paper and does not guarentee quality. How often does licensing visit the program? How often do the parents visit the program?

Law or not, I am taking a stand against government control and the false sense of security it offers by saying no. Child care is between a parent and the provider, end of story.