View Single Post
Mom and Provider 01:38 PM 06-19-2012
Think about everything needed to take care of up to 10 kids a day. You need to think about toys/books, projects/activities, food, naps, everything needed to clean and organize.

Some people are lucky enough to have the money to start a daycare outside their home, but for those of us who are doing it to stay at home with our families and because we enjoy kids, we are sharing our home/business in one space. It also means all of our furniture is getting used more than before.

Most Daycares aren't able to fill all their spots, so we depend the income of our contracted families. So when you decide to take a day off, we still need to get paid because that is our only income. However, I don't believe in charging for major holidays like memorial day, labor day, thanksgiving, and christmas because these are days that we are most likely not caring for children and not all parents get holidays off. Plus I wouldn't charge for a holiday that falls on a day the child wouldn't normally be here. I don't believe in charging for vacations I take either or if I have to take a sick day.

Most of us are giving 10-12 hrs day to care for children, which what your paying may seem like a lot, but after all the costs of supplies and taxes, it's not as much as you think.

I have used several daycares in the past, most of which didn't charge for holidays either, and until I started my own I didn't realize what the providers do on a daily basis. Granted, it is rewarding working with kids, but you also have to think about the fact that not all kids are angels either.

So before you get upset about prices, holidays, and ect... think about how much work the provider does and the lack of breaks.