View Single Post
skittles 10:30 AM 05-23-2011
Hi have been through two maturnity leaves in my daycare both times had to come back to work at two weeks. I have only one set of parents that will leave their child in care open to close even though they get out of work at 2pm. Sometimes I am sad by the little one year old who is left at my house and hour after all the children are gone. He is only one but he walks around my home yelling "mama," dada and he goes to the window and door and waits for them. I am unable to distract him with toys or books, he usually cries when I hold him and wants to be put down. He knows the other kids are gone home, and wants to go as well. I find the kids that are in care the most are the ones who obsess the most off of my own kids. They have the worst behaviors and crave adult attention until that becomes their whole focus. They are usually the ones who act up the most at drop off and pick up because this is the only time they see their parents. One liitle one I have gets pick up to be drop off at another child care or put to bed. Weekends are at grandparents. Not kidding, the parents are really open about it and if I have a question they say they don't know they will have to ask grandma!!! Two sets of my parents pick up, give their children supper and put them to bed at 6:30-7!!! Three and four year olds. They claim their child sleeps 6:30pm-7:30am!!
I use to have a bunch of families that would dump there kids when they are not working. Now at the start of the year when I chose my vacation time I also choose a variety of days through out the year that I would be closed or closed earlier. I typed these up in addition to my two weeks vacation I take each year. None of these are paid for me. I call these my "me" days. Also I use to close at 5:30 and now I close at 5pm. I don't tell the parents but the half hour difference I use for cleaning and in my mind I still close at 5:30 pm, so if parents are "late" they pay my fee and I feel like I am not being taken advantage of.