View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Iowa law is that you must reside in the home. It is so that people don't start day cares, hire the care out, and not really run them. In Iowa you can have a license of as many as 16 total kids (with two being school aged the rest five and under) with two adults who meet the catagory qualifications.

This is enough kids to do sattelite site home cares to get around the Center rules and regs. The owner could make a nice profit if they had a small home meeting the meager home day care square footage per kid (35 sq. foot per kid total 560 square foot) and be able to easily hire two adults to run it. If you get a few houses in a row you could end up with a high concentration of traffic and young kids in an area that's not zoned for business.
I guess that makes sense. I had never looked at it that way. Here we can have up to 14 kids with two adults (4 of the kids must be SA). We are also subjected to unannounced visits by our licensor so I suppose if we hired out the care she would be onto us.....it does ask in the licensing application who will be preforming the care and then before we can hire a substitute or helper they have to be listed on our application and we have to specify if they will be left alone ever with the kids and even then I think we can only leave someone alone with the kids for a limited amount of time.

I tried to get licensed as a center but was not able to because my building IS a house....if it were a big open building I could be a center but residential homes cannot be centers. My future plans are to demolish this house and build a center on the property but that is future thinking/dreaming/wishing.