View Single Post
MamaBear 01:32 PM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
The problem I have with this whole scenario is that unless the doc did an actual CULTURE of the eye drainage it's impossible to be for sure if its viral or bacterial. If the doc did that, it takes 48 hours at least to get the lab results back. I've never seen a doc do a culture just for pink eye.

Secondly, nobody here (daycares or schools) exclude for pink eye anymore.

Thirdly, there shouldn't be a worry for infants in your care because unless they are being touched by other kids, they aren't going to get pink eye. E number one line of defense is hand washing. As long as you are washing your hands before touching the babies and you don't allow other children to touch them, they will be fine.

Also of note, if its truly viral pink eye, it is usually associated with a cold. And with both types, it is cintageous before symptoms are even noticed. If the brother had viral pink eye, which is commonly cause by e cold virus adenovirus, everyone has already been exposed.

As far as the drops for pink eye, it's usually exactly e same drops that they give kids and adults. Per my pediatrician. Oral dosages of meds are different for a 25 lb vs an adult but that's not necessarily the case with eye and ear drops.

The mom said that her dr said the girl has bacterial pink eye based on what he saw. No test done that I know of. Her son (who goes to preschool) supposably had viral pink eye a week prior and was sent home from school... Her dr said that because she had eye buggers that hers was bacterial and his was viral because no eye buggers. I dont know.

When you say "nobody here excludes for pink eye" - are you speaking for everyone on this board or just your area? Because all preschools and daycares where I live exclude them the same as I do. I've never heard of a daycare or school that is okay with it spreading like wildfire thru their daycare.

And yes - this DCG is very touchy touchy and likes to hug the infants and touch them... I'm a small home daycare - not a center - so they are in closer proximity to eachother then a center situation. PLUS I have my own family that lives here and MYSELF that I wouldn't want to get it. Pink Eye is vey contagious and NOT enjoyable so why someone who runs a daycare would be cool with it running rampant at their home is beyond me!

She doesnt have viral pink eye.. she has Bacterial Pink Eye.

Also the mom just stated to me that her dosage IS different then her daughters - which she just confirmed with her own dr... so she is going to the dr herself tomorrow to get the correct meds for an adult.

Anyway - I hope you never get a Pink Eye outbreak at your daycare!