View Single Post
ConcernedMotherof2 05:32 PM 12-11-2009
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I agree to things on here, except for the paid vacation. I left a job after 5 yrs. and had 5 weeks vac. paid, it was 20 days and I only worked 4 days a week.
Everyone deserves and earns a paid vacation, no matter what type of job you do. Being a daycare provider, we have no sick days, 401 K, insurance, bonuses, personal days, etc......
I always have daycare friends as back up if they need good care, when I am gone!!!
Happy Holidays to everyone!!!
I'm sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. Not every job provides paid vacation, 401k, insurance, bonuses or any of the other benefits you mentioned. To assume that this is the case for everyone who has the need for daycare is a little small-minded. And those daycare friends who provide back-up care for you charge a fee, do they not? So that still leaves the parents paying *double* for the one service.

I have a lot of respect for you and normally agree with most of your posts, but this issue is just rubbing me the wrong way. I am so grateful that I don't have this issue with my current daycare.

Yes, I agree that if a parent signs a contract agreeing to pay for a week of paid vacation, they have no right to complain. However, it is my opinion that paid vacation for childcare providers is unethical. If your dc parents agree to it and you're fortunate enough to have it, then good for you, but it still doesn't make sense to me.