View Single Post
MissAnn 10:19 AM 01-14-2011
[quote=You're comparing daycare to being a plumber's service call fee, but you don't have to travel to the child's location to begin the service (time and travel costs that are factored into that service call), nor do you bring all the tools (toys) to that location.

Not trying to knock you here, but getting a master plumbers license is nothing like a DC license....apples to oranges. Your handyman is a closer comparison, but in both those trades, work is hit and miss-the phone may ring off the hook, and it may lay silent for weeks. It's not steady, day in, day out work like DC.[/QUOTE]

Oh.....now you've got me going! No, we don't travel to the child's location yet we do shop weekly for groceries to feed the kids (I serve only very nutritious meals that cost a great deal more than a sandwich), shop for good quality materials that cost an arm and a leg (go to lakeshorelearning.com and see for yourself!).....I don't buy "just enough".....but more than enough to rotate to prevent boredome. Oh and there's the "field trips" like Discovery Museum who come to my home and costs a pretty penny. I pay liability insurance, pay for all the wear and tear on our houses, and MUCH higher utility bills, not to mention what it takes for us to stay in compliance with DHS and the Fire Marshal. As we speak, I need to install another wired in smoke alarm and two emergency lights. I could go on and on......Good quality childcare takes MONEY. Most of us make little over Minimum wage! And....you think DC is steady work? I've been down to 2 kids thanks to our economy.......steady?

Bottom line.....I provide quality care and the parents in my program appreciate it and have never complained about paying my Holidays or Vacations. My fees are low ($100/week)......It all comes out in the wash....I could take away my paid H and V but my fees would raise.