View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Black cat or anyone here, do you charge for vacation that you take?

I personally would like to have teachers only because i miss having my summers off...does anyone here cater to teachers only?
I take 2 weeks off per year. I charge ALL families 1/2 pay for these vacations. The one vacation is in the summer so the half rate is built in to the teachers rate already since they aren't actually in attendance during the summer. I also charge for 4 federal holidays that I am closed. Teachers also get No School days with no charge as there are only a few during the year and I look at those days as a bonus since the load is light on those days. Any other time I close, I do not charge anyone.

Originally Posted by Sprouts:
SO what if a teacher decides to go with the lower payments, and take their chances over the summer and not hold their spot?

Since I just opened last August I havent adjusted my vacation dates yet in my contract, but i would def. like to have more teachers here.
If a teacher decides to go with the lower rate (which I don't have as an option anymore as I now divide their payments up into 9 months vs 12) they would "risk" losing their space as I cannot afford to simply let an empty space sit and wait.....I USED to fill them with SA kids but no longer take SA'ers so that is the reason I changed up my teacher rate.

Originally Posted by iheartkids:
I made a big mistake when I started with this! My first teacher's kid and I told her not to worry about the summer because I will probably have a school ager coming in the summer to fill her spot anyways. Now that summer is approaching I haven't heard from the school ager's parent yet and the teacher is recommending me to her other teacher friends. So if I were to take on any of her friends my contract with her will have to change...probably resulting in an upset mommy!
I would tell this teacher mom that you were able to accommodate her child's "absence" in the past however, you are no longer financially able to do so and she will need to either pay to hold her space (using whatever method you choose) or she will risk losing her space over the summer.

I have always made a point of telling my DCP's that I will accommodate any long term absences IF and onl IF I am able to but in the event that I am unable to do so, it is THEIR responsibility to pay to hold the space or lose it. Just because something works out great one year doesn't mean it always will. kwim?