View Single Post
Chickenhauler 10:21 PM 06-17-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
Most self employed people make much more than a daycare provider. My plumber charges $75 per hour, my handyman over $35 per hour, me a dc provider.....I get less than $1.75 per hour to care for your child, and I supply care, love, food, activities, etc. If you have a good daycare provider, be thankful and treat her nice, we deserve it, just like you think you deserve paid vacations, paid sick days, paid time off for a family death, etc. The person you leave your child with should be very important to you.
Actually, most self employed people make about the same as many daycare providers with a healthy attendance....I'm self employed, and my wife is on track to make more than I will this year at the rate things are going. And she doesn't have anywhere near the investment in equipment that I do, nor does she put in the hours that I do.

Starting to think I'm in the wrong gig here...........

You're comparing daycare to being a plumber's service call fee, but you don't have to travel to the child's location to begin the service (time and travel costs that are factored into that service call), nor do you bring all the tools (toys) to that location.

Not trying to knock you here, but getting a master plumbers license is nothing like a DC license....apples to oranges. Your handyman is a closer comparison, but in both those trades, work is hit and miss-the phone may ring off the hook, and it may lay silent for weeks. It's not steady, day in, day out work like DC.