View Single Post
Abigail 12:34 AM 09-12-2010
I would make sure you have a half bath for sure. I would use the same table for art projects/table activities as I would for meals...it just makes sense! Have an entry area near your entrance/exit door you plan on using that has hooks for each child's coat and a rug underneath like a runner for everyone's shoes. This is inexpensive and easy to wash when needed. I would put your kitchen area (fridge next to two complete sets of cupboards to create a long counter space and put a sink at the end) The kitchen area should also have a microwave and you can heat up a coffee mug with an inch of water in it for a minute before warming a baby's bottle.

You can install upper cabinets above the lower cabinets for food and necessary items. One cupboard just for food. The other upper cabinet for plates, bowls, cups, and small baskets with each infant's labeled bottles.
You'll usually have two drawers above the bottom set of two cupboards. Use one just for flatware items. Use the other one for the "Junk Drawer" for pens and pencils and adult scissors and tape and a phone book or other things you may often need. The bottom cupboards can store art supplies, board games, coloring books, etc. I would put up a shelf on the wall or use cubbies for additional clothing and make sure you have space near the diaper changing area for additional diapering items for those not potty trained.

If I had the choice, I would do the laminate flooring over the entrance and kitchen area and table, but have carpet on the other half. Think about how much space you'll have to sweep and wash vs. less is you can just vacuum daily and shampoo once or twice a year! Also, do you want your kids in an area with no carpet or soft areas besides a reading zone? If you make a reading zone with a book shelf and child-sized pillows or furniture, put that closer to the infant napping zone as that is a quiet reading zone. Make sure to have a bulletin board around the entrance corner or near the kitchen counter space for sign in and display necessary items on the wall for parents to read.

Make sure to have low toy shelves in the center of the room and put sleeping areas closer to the bathroom area as you'll hear "Can I go the bathroom?" over and over and don't have to worry about them walking far to get there. A partial wall no-taller than 4 feet high and adding curtains from the ceiling to block out extra sounds should be added for the infant sleeping zone. Usually this is just until 12 months of age when they're old enough to sleep on the mat or cot on the floor. Make sure you have enough space in this infant sleeping zone though for two cribs which need to be 2 feet apart from each other. So many rules, I know!

Whatever you decide to do, I'ld like to see the finished product! If you're going to get licensed, their is something about having a separate sink that is not used after changing diapers to use before meals unless it's cleaned. That would mean to put in a sink on the other end of the kitchen counter for everyone to wash their hands before meals?