View Single Post
MamaBearCanada 07:54 AM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Daycare employees should get paid for holiday leave....by their boss, by the owner. I pay the owner, the owner pays his/her empoyees. I wouldnt pay for a pair of pants that wasnt available and that i wasnt receiving. If you want parents to pay you on federal holidays then offer a service to be paid for. I'm tired of hearing about "we have bills". yes and as a businiess that sells daycare you should be paid for providing daycare, not for not providing daycare. That's ridiculous. Why are you entitled to my money that i work for when you arent working?
A lot of us are our own boss and the owner with no employees. You agree that workers should get paid for holidays, so there are 2 ways this happens:

1. We charge for those days as paid holidays
2. We close "unpaid" but average out the cost of those days over the other days to increase the daily rate when we are open.
Either way over the course of a year you would have paid the same amount.

If you don't like it - don't sign a contract agreeing to it. Choose somewhere else. No-one is forcing you to do something you don't want to do.

A pair of pants is a retail not service industry example. We provide a service based upon a yearly or monthly service not daily contract that is why holidays are included - like a gym membership. If you want daily service so you don't have to pay for holidays be prepared to pay the higher daily rate... Which is really version 2 of the above example.