View Single Post
gg_fan22 03:19 PM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by pingaa3:
Because most really good daycares open between 6am and 7 am and close around 6-7pm. That is when the majority of parents need childcare, so that's when most providers are open.

After a 12 hour shift do you want to keep working until 4-5 more hours? Most in home providers have families and young children themselves. It's hard to find that kind of provider who is not burnt out and asleep by 11pm. I know I'm out by 10pm minimum and 9pm on a day that is really active and rough.
It's a shame though. We need 2nd shift childcare centers though. That is what I am going to school for. I am going to school for Early Childhood Education, and if I need to business. I want to open up my own childcare center for first and 2nd shift parents. I grew up in a home with a dad who worked literally 20 hours a day so, I know how it feels to be passed from babysitter to babysitter. My Grandma would watch us during the day but, she couldn't watch us @ night so in the brief window of time that he had before leaving to start his other job he would drop us off at home and then call whatever sitter he could get.
If there were more second shift childcare centers I don't think it would've been so hectic for him or a lot of the other parents who have try and find babysitters so they can go to work. Even that at times is frustrating because not many of them are really reliable.
Me I get up when my alarm gets me up. I do not go to bed until like midnight and then if I have to get up early I set my alarm. I think I have insomnia, I can't fall asleep unless I read or make myself tired.