View Single Post
Unregistered 02:06 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by md12:
I'm a parent and at work I'm not paid for holidays... I don't have a problem paying holidays at daycare... Most companies pay holidays , I'm just not lucky to work for one of those.
My problem is... why pay full tuition when daycare is closed due to wheatear condition?
I am not sure about "most companies".
In the economy, there is clearly a trend to hire hourly employees who only get paid for the hours they work with few or no benefis. This means everyone who works in 7-11s all the way to high end Information Technology contract positions. FTE is shrinking, hourly "temp" positions are growing.

Legally, day care providers are independent contractors. What they get paid is stated in each individual contract. If there is enough leverage and you are in the right area, you can negotiate a good contract. Otherwise, not.

OTOH, I do perfectly understand business needs of the daycare.
It costs whatever it costs. So no matter how you slice it, you have to pay that cost. Either annually, monthly, weekly, daily or hourly. If hourly, then the rate has to reflect the costs. Paying weekly is just a little easier to deal with than writing a 4-digit montly check, maybe. Or maybe not.

Whether one gets say 7 days of sick time or holidays or bad weather, it will have to be made up via higher hourly or daily/weekly rates. It just really depends on your local economy, if it allows the leverage to do that. Usually it's a buyer's market but not everywhere it seems.