View Single Post
lovemylife 12:17 PM 09-15-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Okay - so I had a DCG go out Friday with bacterial pink eye. The mom took her to the Dr Friday afternoon and started her meds that night. The mom just text me (today is Sunday) and said "Her eyes look a lot better. She has a couple more days of her eyedrop meds and then she'll be 100% all good. Now I got it though. Can she come back tomorrow?"

My reply was "She can return on Wednesday if her medication drops are complete and her eyes are 100% better. I cant risk any of the other kids catching this. Now that you have it, can she catch it again?" She responded with "No she wont get it again because I'm not contagious since I'm taking her drops too and we both wont get it again. I'll keep her home till Wednesday".

I really dont care if shes mad that I'm making her stay home till Wednesday because the other babies are my concern right now. But my question is - can she get it again from her mom while taking those drops? And shouldn't she not be sharing those drops?

Thanks!

Bacterial pinkeye may cause more drainage than viral pinkeye. Bacterial infections usually last 7 to 10 days without antibiotic treatment and 2 to 4 days with antibiotic treatment. The person can usually return to day care, school, or work 24 hours after an antibiotic has been started if symptoms have improved. Prescription antibiotic treatment usually kills the bacteria that cause pinkeye.

^ this is from web md. In my contract it states that must be on antibiotics for pink eye for 48 hours. As for the mom, I would be iffy about her. The child shouldn't get it again because the medicine is in the body and working. If I remember correctly it is in the body for 2 weeks after treatment has ended. But that I'm not 100% sure on. The mom shouldn't be using her eye drops for a number of reasons, its illegal, children receive smaller doses of medications. So her eye drops could possibly not be strong enough to treat the mothers pink eye. Mom comes to drop off touches eye, touches door knob...everyone gets it. I would say the child is safe IMO.