View Single Post
ConcernedMotherof2 08:05 AM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
Or you could remember that providers make $16-$30 a DAY! Which makes $80 -$150 a week. Out of that money that is made is expenses for proper care. How many people make it on the amount of money that providers make a week/day?
Okay, so when my children were attending full time dc, I was paying anywhere from $200-$250 per week, for my two children. If my two were the only kids in care, that provider would be making only about $200/week, right? However, *most* daycares have more children in attendance. If you have 5 children in care, at that rate, you're clearing $500/week, (going along with what Chickenhauler said about healthy attendance) which is more than I make working outside the home. I don't get paid vacation or paid holidays and somehow, as a single parent without state assistance, I am making it hmmm... (thinking maybe I should open a daycare)

Yes, I agree that a signed contract constitutes agreement with the terms, whatever those terms may be. However, sometimes parents are in a spot to get care so that they can work and have to agree to the terms of the dc whatever those terms may be. And the question here is, is it even fair to *demand* paid vacations, causing the parents to either take time off of work or pay double for that week so that they can work?? Paid holidays that fall within the week are fair. A day or two here and there, I can handle because this person takes care of my child and is therefore worth the little extra that I can muster to give, but I do not believe paid vacation is appropriate. I've said it before and I'll say it again--yes, you deserve paid vacation more than any other profession I can think of, but no, I cannot afford to finance it.