View Single Post
daycare 08:07 AM 05-19-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Take a look at teacher salaries, teachers are paid for days of work. (usually 184 days)

Teachers are not paid for days that they do not work (summer). The can choose to have their pay spread out over 12 months.

As a day care provider, you are wanting to be paid for not working. If you can get this business good for you. Average teacher takes home $3500 a month, average day care nets $8000 a month (based on 8 kids). Thanks for providing care to our kids, but don't be greedy about it.
I am with blackcat not sure where you got your numbers, but unlike you, we have to go and find kids to fill spots when they are left empty. It can take weeks or months to do so. Especially in today's job market, there are a lot of people who are unemployed, leaving daycare providers with empty spots.

We are paid by the number of kids that are in our care, not a salary. So if I charge $25.00 per kid each day and I have 3 kids, then I have $75.00. I plan for that money and have obligations to my family just like any other working mom. Being a provider is a not a hobby for most of us, it's a career.

So now you have a teachers child and you need to let them go for the summer. Well you just lost $500.00 a month. That is a lot of money to lose. Since summer is only 2.5 months, there is no way that most of us would ever find a temporary replacement to come in and fill that Teacher's CHILD spot to recover that money.I am assuming that the teacher will need daycare again in the fall, so do we tell the family that took the open spot in the summer to uproot their child and move on so that the Teacher's child can have the spot back that they didn't pay for?

Unlike your job, your students are there and return in full numbers, because it is the LAW that all children attend school. You are paid your full salary if your students are in attendance or not.

Would you like to only be paid by the amount of students you had in your class? I am sure if there were options for students and parents to choose teachers, it would turn just as competitive as the Childcare world.