View Single Post
Abigail 12:01 PM 05-06-2012
My sister lives in a smaller sized town. They have one daycare center which does all day and evening shift. What they do is pretty neat. The daytime routines are typical of any traditional daycare center. Then once children start leaving around 4-5 pm they start condensing the rooms and sending home the workers. Parents are required to let the daycare center know how late they will be attending in advance with a 9 or so hour limit per day so they can schedule the correct amount of employees for the evening. 9 pm is the latest they stay open, but somedays they are closed at 6 because that is when the last child is scheduled to depart for the day.

I believe their is a need for evening childcare but a few factors keep it a hush hush topic. Parents don't want to pay extra for evening care and I completely understand. Parents also would prefer their family or friend to watch them because in the evenings it's nice to have the kids home and in their own bed so they're on schedule. Parents only ask a few daycares in town and give up looking. I've never heard of anyone locally bring evening childcare at an affordable price to the city board...........why not?! It's worth a shot and I think this is the only way to do it! I bet opening a daycare in any city like my sister's smaller-sized town would work. Like I said, parents just need to find what works and not jump through hoops trying to get a daycare professionally to stay open later hours.