View Single Post
Daycaremomof2 02:27 PM 12-27-2011
When I worked outside the home, I got 2 weeks of paid vacation, 5 paid sick days, and 5 personal days- all paid. I worked 8 hour days, 40 hours a week, and got a consistent 1 hour lunch break, with two 15 minute breaks a day. (I was also paid 3x's more than what I make as a provider- but that's the sacrafice that I made for my kids so I don't mind). I now run an in-home daycare, working 10 hour days, 50 hours a week. I don't get a lunch "break" at all. If my daycare kids are all asleep at the same time (IF), then I usually spend that time cleaning up from their messes. And IF everything happens to be clean, I still do not get a real "break," because I am still responsible for your child, and cannot fully relax with the weight of that responsibility on my shoulders. I work very hard wiping noses, kissing boo boo's, giving lots of hugs, teaching manners, and busting my tail everyday, all day, to provide the most caring environment for YOUR child while you are away at the office. I teach preschoolers how to read and write, babies how to crawl, walk, and sign, and most importantly, give each and every child a loving, safe, consistent environment while you are away trying to provide for your family too.

Are you seriously complaining about some paid holidays?

PS: A family vacation and break will reinvigorate your provider, and she will come back 100% better (better for your kids) when she gets back. You get what you pay for- do you really want to send your kids to a daycare where the provider doesn't get to take a real break or vacation? Would you want a surgeon operating on you after a 24 hour shift? Come on!