View Single Post
daycare 01:40 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
In the past few months, since moving my daycare to my home, my husband urged me to change the way I do things.

I was bad for stressing over whether I had posted enough reminders, made enough calls, made enough comments etc. about things that needed remembered.

He reminded me that I was being paid to tend the children.....not their parents.

He told me to relax and let them fend for themselves and take responsibility for their own children.

I now just post a calendar by the entrance with closed days on it. Told them that was all I was going to do from now on. That's it. THEIR responsibility to take note. If they show up, I will point, say sorry and close the door (if I even open it)

I had a hard time at first, but now it's released me from so much stress. I am not their keeper.
sorry to sidetrack but wanted to comment.

I used to offer up a ton of reminders. Every place that I could think of. Well not that long ago I was talking to a parent who's child had graduated out of my program.

DCM tells me boy did you spoil us rotten with all of those lovely reminders. She then goes on to tell me that in the elementary school, the teacher gave one calender and posted stuff to her website at the start of each month and that was it. So she said it took time getting used to the adjustment of not having all the reminders.

Since then, I have cut back on the amount of reminders that I give. If you hold their hand too much, it will be harder for them once their kid starts school.