View Single Post
Heidi 11:41 AM 06-19-2012
but, that doesn't mean that you can only enroll that many children. The space you use for other activities, such as art, eating, etc, should also be counted. So, you can't close off that tiny room and make all the children stay in there all day. But, you can use that as the main toy room, and then have other activities nearby, such as in the dining room or living room (a reading nook, perhaps?).

I have a very similar set up, so the toys are in the 8 x 10 room, and that's where they stay. That room in the most "safe-tied" of all my rooms. There is nothing in there kids could get into an cause a problem, so if I need to leave that room, I don't have to worry (of course, nothing is ever 100%, I know). I am always in sound, but not always in direct line of sight.

In the nearby kitchen/dinning combo, there are art supplies available. So, if a child wants to color or cut or do playdough, they come out to the table. I sort of wander back and forth if there are kids in both rooms. Usually, honestly, everyone pretty much follows-the-leader, and if one person does art, everyone else wants to as well. We also use the kitchen/dining for cooking activities and meals.

I do allow the children to bring books from the book-rack out of the playroom.