View Single Post
Unregistered 12:28 PM 07-07-2012
I DON'T charge when I take days off (except a handful of paid holidays) but I do charge if I am open and a child is absent (illness, vacation, etc.). My reasoning is that if I am going to take a weeks vacation I plan on not getting paid that week and budget accordingly, I also know that some of my parents will have to pay another provider so I do not want their expenses to be double. On the other hand I DO charge if they are gone and I am open. I figure they already budget their weekly daycare cost and paying me shouldn't be a problem if they plan a vacation, their child stays home sick or if grandma comes to town and wants to keep them for the day, etc. Another factor to this is that the state only allows me so many children. If a family says they are taking a week off I am not going to be able to find another family to fill that slot and make up the lost income. When I first started I didn't charge if children were sick, had vacation but then all of the kids got sick in one week right before Christmas....I couldn't afford the bills let alone Christmas presents. I have been debating charging for a few paid days off every year that are not paid holidays, my reason is because my family gets sick a few times a year and it is usually because a parent brought a sick child and exposed us (of course they masked the child's symptoms with Tylenol so I wouldn't know they were sick until mid day).