View Single Post
Unregistered 07:10 PM 01-31-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a home dc and I do a preschool curriculum. My experience is that 1 and 2's are just too difficult and too young to do a preschool curriculum. I have found the best age to start is 3. You could possibly do things like...when child is in the high chair give them blocks to build with or other creative toys for manipulation. I am not sure, as sometimes I think kids just need to be kids (in this case a toddler), and not have things (curriculum) forced upon them.
I am sorry, but I disagree. I too run a home child care. I have a one year old currently in my care. She is now able to recognize the color's purple and green on her own. She may not be able to speak well, but can point them out if you ask her. She was taught by me.... I taught in a fun way. We laughed, danced, and played all while learning. She was not my only youngster at the time either. I also care for a recently turned 2 year old. She now recognizes all her colors and her letters A, B, and C.... plus the sounds they make..., as well as her numbers 1-5 (recognition, and grouping). My 3 year old daughter knows her letters by sight and sound as well as numbers 1-12. She has also mastered rhyming words.

Children are never too young to learn. They just learn in different ways. My best advise is to be creative. Don't always think things have to be by the book. Children need creativity and to know that what they are doing is valued. I do agree not to push, but if you are doing a curriculum where it is fun they do not see it as learning. Always keep a schedule where they know what to expect at all times. Kids need this to grow.

These are just things that have worked for me... oh and one other thing, 1 and 2 year olds love to paint with their hands (finger paint) and when you do this in a certain color it also helps them to learn their colors while making a mess!