View Single Post
Leigh 07:05 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by User_Name:
I want to start by saying our daycare provider is wonderful in every way but this one. I understand it is an extremely difficult job taking care of several other people's children all day. Long hours and the inability to truly leave work (home daycare) has got to be a huge downside to the job (although there are a lot of upsides )

We have been called to pick up our child several times when he was displaying symptoms and she instructed us to take him to the doctor for a diagnosis. Completely reasonable. But when we come back and tell her that there is nothing seriously wrong or contagious, or that her suspicion of what the illness was was incorrect, she gets really defensive and sometimes argumentative. I understand she wants all her kids to be healthy and they shouldn't come to daycare if they're ill, but our pediatrician has been in practice for almost 40 years and for her to refute his diagnoses is not only foolish but unprofessional. We've only been going here for about a year, and already she has done this at least three times. I want to tell her in a nice way that she is not a doctor and should not get defensive, and she needs to trust our pediatrician's expertise. Or should we find care elsewhere?
I have to agree with the others about symptoms being the reason for exclusion regardless of diagnosis or a doctor saying the child is not contagious. Just a month ago, I had a doctor write a "return to daycare" note for a child just diagnosed with strep throat. This child had a twin who was not diagnosed. I KNEW the twin would also have it, and the twin DID also have it. Mom was angry that I wouldn't allow the kids back at daycare immediately after diagnosis with that stupid note from the doctor, but common sense tells me that the twin will also get the illness, and I have THREE immune compromised kids in daycare to protect, as well as myself (If I get sick, then NO ONE gets daycare services until I'm better). 1 of those kids in my care could be hospitalized or worse from strep.

Doctors write notes to allow sick kids back at school or childcare every day. If YOUR child caught the illness, it is contagious. Many doctors feel that it's good to expose kids to these illnesses to build immunity and don't see a reason to keep them away from other kids. As providers, we have to protect ourselves and the kids in our care from these reckless decisions made by doctors that can expose vulnerable children to illness and to protect our own businesses by excluding kids with symptoms so that WE can continue to work.