View Single Post
mac60 02:09 AM 11-02-2009
Unemployment in my county is over 17%. Surrounding counties are about 10 to 14%. Hubby lost his job after 40 years. The company is totally downsizing.....started out about 2 yr ago with approx 3200 employees, rumor is going down to 800, and are at about 1200 to 1500 right now.

He was let go simply for the mere things the company gave him over the years, 5 weeks vacation, retirement, pay scale. It sucks and it is not fair at all, but that is life. You stay with a company thru years of thick and thin, excellent work history, and all they perks they have given you are the reason they get rid of you. Age discrimination.....hell yes, only they get away with it.

This is the first time either of us has ever been on unemployment and it sucks bad. The whole system is flawed. We discussd him going out and getting a job at Pizza Hut, or similar for now until he can find a better job, but if he makes over $56 in 1 week, they start taking money away from his benefits. That is insane. A man tries to go out and help his family and is punished for it. Now I understand not being able to find another job and make more than you did working combined with UI, but at making $56 per week, he still is falling short of about $150 per week. Sorry about the rant here.

Funny how some people use the system and live off of welfare, disability, food stamps, medicaid, but the working (what used to be middle class family), well we have supported those low life of people for years, yet when it comes to us, to hell with us all.......that is just my opinion here. Very frustrated right now. I don't see the low life getting on their ass to find a job and better themselves, they just sit back and wait for that next check.