View Single Post
melissa ann 03:11 PM 04-04-2010
Originally Posted by pigletsmommy:
Thanks for the responses.

First I guess I should clarify... currently there is no contract and I dont really considered this a business (except for tax purposes). All but one parent pays me in cash. I'm know I'm walking a thin line right now, hence my research looking into licensing (and thats how I found this forum). I have looked into the licensing and called DHS for TN to clarify unlicensed childcare. I was told that I could have 4 plus my own child at one time. I did not think while I was on the phone to ask them about the apartment but I have printed out the manuals and can't find anything about the rules on the structure. I'll call as soon as I get a chance. However, my maintance has been up here while the kids are all here and no one has said anything to me. I am doing my best to stay completely legal about this. The lady at DHS even said to me that many people keep more children and get away with it. Most of the time no one there even cares. One, the guilt at doing something illegal would eat away at me and 2, I would lose my mind with any more children without another adult.

That brings me to another question... we are looking at houses to move into this summer and go back and forth between buying and renting right now with this crazy housing market. Does anyone rent their house and have a licensed daycare? That would be a big factor in whether or not I get licensed if we decide not to buy.

As for my friend, there is no contract so I have nothing to go back on. Its a long story.. I'm sorry. When we first started this arrangement she paid me on her pay day (every other friday) and payed me for the current week plus the next week. Then she and her husband decided to move into a (more expensive) house and that same week his hours changed. She told me that they wanted to pay me on Tuesdays once a week (his pay day) which meant they would get behind a week. Its my friend so I'm trying to be understanding.

This is not the first time she forgot to pay me either. A few months ago it happened and I asked her and she immediately apologized and brought the money right over. It took me almost a week the courage to bring it up. Then the end of Feb we had the missing money issue but I continue to watch her kids. The next week I went on vacation and the following week she didnt pay me again. It happened again this week but I called her immediately and she came back to my house to pay me. I'm really just sick of having to ask for money she owes me. None of my other parents "make" me ask them for it.

I'm sorry if this is so confusing. To be honest I HATE confrontation and she knows it. She is the exact opposite. She knows that I will just let her get away with it but I'm really getting fed up between this and then all the other little things (like diapers and potty training).

I'm thinking about telling her that she will need to find other childcare if she does keep her job. If I'm honest and say that this is going to ruin our friendship then maybe she will understand...but honestly I dont think so. It feels like it is already lost anyway.
Originally Posted by pigletsmommy:
Thanks for the responses.
First I guess I should clarify... currently there is no contract and I dont really considered this a business (except for tax purposes). ***************

Be careful. Just because you don't consider this a business, your local officials might say otherwise. Since you are in an apt. bdg.