View Single Post
bice99 11:33 PM 04-26-2012
I taught elementary school for 11 years before opening my childcare. I like having lighter summers. Here's what I do: letter goes home mid April with my summer contract attached. Due by May 1st. 3 options - continue care as is - hold for the summer - don't hold and take their chances. My hold rate is half of their normal tuition. All due by June 15th (this is new, I used to offer to split it into thirds). So my PT kids pay half of their PT rate. As a courtesy, they may bring their child 1/5 of normal days/hours. I get to pick the day/hours based on what works with my schedule. So a FT kid gets to come for 1 day. A 3 day/9 hr per day kid gets to come 5.5 hrs. I tell parents that way their kid still remembers me and I get to watch them grow over the summer and the fall transition isn't so hard. My PT rate is a minimum of 3 days so I didn't think it was fair to just let them pay for one day and come the whole day. It's worked great. I look at "direct care" time when I schedule. So the 5.5 hr kid comes 10 AM to 3:30 PM, napping at least 1-3. All of my teachers pay me once they understand why I do it this way. And the PITA family I had my first year had an easy out b/c I knew they wouldn't pay it and when they wanted their space in the fall, I simply told them I had filled it (whether I had or not)