View Single Post
Unregistered 02:46 AM 08-14-2013
I have taught one year old preschool as a Lead Teacher for the past 8 years. A curriculum is important for guided learning through play. Since I work at a Methodist Church we utilize the Wee Learn curriculum by Lifeway. It uses in the book items that are developmentally important and integrates them into a play setting. This allows them play to them and intentional learning for us. They must have developmental skill sets to prep them for 2k, 3k etc... Fine motor skills work like putting things into say juice bottles, gross motor skills from 2 feet jumping (which can be accomplished through songs), crossing the median line important for brain transference, working on turning pages in books, really imperative are sensory items can be accomplished in art, a felt board, washing a baby, a sensory bin with age appropriate items, art using up and down motion outside on a wall, the most important thing is to have a caring teacher who knows where they are at and take them where they need to be. Knowing the expectations of each age. We use the Ages and Stages Questionnaire for our evaluations and have seen wonderful results. If my one year olds are still having a morning nap I transition them to the 9 to 12 schedule by meeting their needs.