View Single Post
Angelwings36 06:26 AM 02-16-2012
As a childcare provider....

I put in 50 hours a week on the clock with my families plus approximately 5 hours a week running errands/doing pre for the daycare itself. That's about 15 hours a week of overtime which I don't get paid for. In four weeks I put in approximately 60 hours of overtime, with no overtime pay.

I do not get a designated break in my 10 hour shifts.

I do not get yearly bonuses.

I do not get a benefit package.

I do not get offered a rrsp plan through work.

For this reason I take all stat holidays off with pay. I take 3 weeks of paid holidays per year. I also reserve 5 paid personal days per year that I can take as needed for a illness, a funeral, a appointment, etc...

I would never accept a family who had a problem with my paid time off and I do not allow anyone to get away without paying for my time off.

My contract states:

Upon the termination of your childcare space you will be required to pay out any paid holidays to myself that you currently owe. Since I am entitled to 3 weeks of paid holidays per year, if your child attended daycare for one year you will be required to pay for 3 weeks of my paid holidays or part of 3 weeks if I have not taken all 3 weeks of paid holidays. If your child attended daycare for 8 months you will be required to pay for 2 weeks of my paid holidays or part of 2 weeks if the I have not taken all 2 weeks of paid holidays. If your child attended daycare for 4 months you will be required to pay for 1 week of my paid holidays or part of 1 week if I have not taken all of 1 week of paid holidays.

Because of this paragraph families can not drop care with me the month before my scheduled holidays.

If I didn't get paid stats, paid holidays or paid personal days I would no longer run a daycare.

I opened a daycare because I love children, I didn't open a daycare because I wanted to be "less" than the rest of the world. I deserve my paid time off just like everyone else in the world. Honestly, I deserve overtime pay too, but we all know that's not likely.

P.S. I'm not bitter I'm just really firm on my stand.