View Single Post
jen 09:05 AM 12-07-2009
Originally Posted by ConcernedMotherof2:

And the question here is, is it even fair to *demand* paid vacations, causing the parents to either take time off of work or pay double for that week so that they can work?? Paid holidays that fall within the week are fair. A day or two here and there, I can handle because this person takes care of my child and is therefore worth the little extra that I can muster to give, but I do not believe paid vacation is appropriate. I've said it before and I'll say it again--yes, you deserve paid vacation more than any other profession I can think of, but no, I cannot afford to finance it.
On one had you are saying it is unfair, on the other hand you are saying we deserve a paid vacation...it really can't be both.

As for fair...of course it is "fair." It is OUR business and we determine the rules--that is how operating ones own business works. It is equally "fair" for you to determine that you won't patronize a business because it doesn't fall in your price range.

It is a little bit like saying, "is it fair for BMW to charge $50,000+ for a vehicle? Of course its fair, I just won't be buying one. Many people can and do afford a BMW and can and do affort to pay for a more expensive daycare. It's not about being fair, it is just business.

And yes, you probably would do better financially by opening up your own daycare. I began mine as a single parent and it was the best thing I ever did for my kids.

Oh, I should add that I, myself do not charge for vacation. I build the cost of my vacation in to my rates...I am still being paid and it makes people feel good that they "aren't paying" me when I'm not open!