View Single Post
littlemissmuffet 08:29 AM 05-17-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
UGH.... I did something dumb and decided to throw it out to the parents to stay open on memorial day but they had to sign up by a certain date or you cant attend.

Most of my families are working professionals that have it off and then I have a few in the service industry that don't.

Well only one family signs up. Just so happens that this family works with one of my other families, who said that their company is closed that day.

Well at pick up yesterday, dcm calls out the other dcm saying why did you sign up for your child to come to care on Monday? We have it off..........

Uh oh.............So now those two are in a heated discussion at my front door. I stay out of it, and try to just get them to leave.

Normally I will say I will stay open if I have 3 or more families sign up, but did not say that this time.

So now what??? Should I still tell dcf that signed up that I am not going to open even though I did not set a limit of families needed to stay open??

THis is a family that always gives me a hard time, so everything is a battle when it does not go their way.....ugh

would you open for that one family or say sorry, we are going to close....
I never ever stay open for statutory holidays - I am closed and paid for ALL OF THEM, even minor ones.

I do not close Christmas week - but I do close for Christmas eve, Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day (all paid). Most of my families every year do take the entire week off - so I tell my families that I am only open on the "other" days of the Christmas week to parents who are actually going to work - I am not open to parents who need to prep for or clean up after the holidays, etc.

In the future, if you choose to stay open on a holiday or a day you normally wouldn't be open, I would specify and make very clear that the option is available STRICTLY for parents going to work.

In the current case, I would say to mom "Jane, I was giving the option to be open Monday for working parents only. I didn't specify this, but I assumed parents would understand that I wouldn't give one of my holidays up simply so a parent could spend their day without their own child. Because you are the only one who signed up and you're not going to work, I have decided to close and spend the day with my family instead. Thanks"