View Single Post
ProudMom2evry1 07:48 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by CharlesReese:
I personally don't own a day care, nor do I ever plan on it. However, I do understand that it is a business, but any business should know what is ethical and unethical or does anyone have a conscious these days.

After reading some of the post that had been written some time ago, I wonder how you think you should be paid for holidays and for inclement weather when you don’t watch children.

My problem is this, if you watch a child then you should be paid for those services. If you don’t then there should be no charge. My wife and I have to deal with her brother and his wife. They don’t have a day care, but they sure do operate their home like it is. (Of course there home can be treated as such.)

Earning my Master’s and learning more and more about businesses and how they operate helps me understand what is ethical and not ethical. So again let me ask the question, why should daycare’s be paid for services not rendered for bad weather, holidays, or when children can be watched by their parents?

Just saying, “you get paid holidays why shouldn’t we” is not an valid argument.

It’s dishonest to charge parents when you don’t watch children. I do agree that policies should be up front and in writing. But again are your policies honest? If they are, then I’m sure parents will enjoy doing business with you, if not your probably still going to have that migraine.

Companies still have to take out federal income tax, state income tax, health care fees, retirement, S.S. fees, and disability. Of course some of these are mandatory while others are voluntarily. So as a daycare are you doing all of this? Do you offer retirement for your employees, paid holidays, paid time off, and sick leave?

Again, why should parents pay a daycare for services they didn’t provide?

If someone on this blog can give me an honest and valid argument then maybe you can persuade me to understand why you should be paid for services not provided?
Before I start, I would like everyone to know that everything I mentioned here concerning child care is based in CA.

When I was taking my child to a day care provider some years ago, all I know is that I'm paying her for taking care of my child and that's it! I worked at a retail store and the word "holiday" does not really exist so, I was a little bit upset. I thought that it was really not fair for me to pay her when I can't bring my son in due to her vacation or paid holiday. I thought that it was not fair that she's getting paid for relaxing and spending time with her family while I have to go to work and leave my child to some other stranger just so she can take her "day off".

Well, after a few years I decided to open up my own day care and learned a few things on how to run this business. Well, I did not know about the capacity limit and the restrictions set by the state. So, here's how it works:

Capacity limit of 6-8 kids for small day care - this means that 3 kids can be ages from 0-24 months and 8 kids if u have 2 school aged kids with only 2 kids that are 0-24mos of age

If you had you small day care license for over a year, you can request for a large license meaning your capacity limit will be changed from 6-8 to 12-14 kids with age restrictions.

Capacity limit of 12-kids are allowed if you have 4 kids ages 0-24 months. If only 3 kids are ages 0-24 mos, you can have up to 14 provided that at least 2 of them are school aged. You are also required to have an assistant.

Now, going back to the question. Why do parents have to pay their child care providers even if their child is not present? Because child care providers don't get paid by the hour. If we do, then it's only fair not to charge for the time or days that their child is not in our care.

If we at least get paid the minimum wage, no child care provider will complain.

This is how I make parents understand and realize that they are paying for the spot and not for my time:

I offer the "drop-in basis". This means that parents don't have to pay me for the days that their child is not here, but since the spot is not guaranteed for their child, they have to call me the day before they wish to drop off their child. Of course, if I have the spot, I say sure... but, if I don't... then I just say "no".

Parents are our clients, not our employers. We don't have employees' rights but, we set our own policies. We don't get paid by the hour but we charge for the child's spot.

Just like a retail store, if you don't like their return policy or their prices... you just simply have to move on. We are a business and not employees. I hope this helps.