View Single Post
kendallina 01:48 PM 04-14-2012
Parents will respect you when you demand to be respected. A parent calls at 6:30 and asks to drop off 1-1/2 hours early...say "No, that won't work for me, I'll see you at 9:00" (perhaps that's what you did, but you didn't say in your post).

A dad is dropping off consistently earlier and earlier and you say that they need to 'let you know' if they will be there earlier...NO...tell them that their drop off time is noon and you will not accept their child before that time. Even if they show up at your door....turn them away or don't answer! If they would like to revisit their drop-off time, then you are happy to revisit their contract, drop-off time and rate.

If you allow parents to do whatever they want, they will. They follow your behavior, if you allow them to behave badly from day 1, they will continue it.

I try to be very upfront and honest with my parents about whether their behavior is okay or not and they actually respect me more because of it! They know that they cannot get away with dropping off whenever or picking up whenever because I value my time and they need to as well.