View Single Post
sleepinghart 11:57 AM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Payment in advance is definitely a new concept for our state. I have been pre-paid for a while but the only reason I think it went over well here was because a HUGE group of providers and centers all made the change at the same time so parents really had no choice.

I think that a majority of businesses (not just child care) don't charge until AFTER services have been provided.

My DH requires a deposit or percentage of the bill to be paid before hand and the remaining balance AFTER the work has been done.

I can see how as a parent, pre-payment would be a negative, but I also understand why providers choose to be pre-paid.

When all providers in your area require it or it is standard practice for your community, it definitely helps "force" the rule.

Yes. It didn't take me long at all to figure out that not requiring payment in advance oftentimes resulted in my providing a lot of free daycare.

(begin Blackcat31 quote)I think that a majority of businesses (not just child care) don't charge until AFTER services have been provided" (end quote)

~I know that in my area & several others it is very common nowdays for doctors & dentists, etc. to ask for payment upfront before any services are rendered and to refuse to provide care if cannot do that or make prior arrangements. I do remember though that up until recently this(prepaying at MDs)was not the norm at all and when it started it took awhile for some people to adjust and the office workers got a lot of weird looks the first time a patient was asked for payment upfront. I assume that they had to change their policies because of people not having the money to pay after they had already been seen by the doctor and therefore the doctor's practice losing money. I agree it's fair for them to do this though. We do what we gotta do and changes like this are usually a direct result/consequence of negative behaviors/habits.