View Single Post
Pammie 06:07 AM 04-29-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I just have 2 dcgs that always tell me they are hungry throughout the day and have 2nd and 3rds at lunch of fruit and whatever the main dish is. I usually have to replenish my fruit at least once a week and sometimes twice and feel like they are eating me out of house and home during snack time. I just can't imagine them being satisfied with a cookie and milk...this would be such an easy snack though. Snack is usually string cheese, crackers and fruit and most of them will eat more than one string of cheese and with 6 kids it doesn't take long to go through a lot of food.
I have a rule that the kids can't ask for "seconds" on anything until they've finished everything on their plate...or I would have kids that fill-up on fruit and nothing else. And my philosophy is if they're truly hungry, they'll eat what's in front of them. They may have seconds if it's already prepared -fruit cut up for example - but I don't prepare additionally anything for seconds. I just say, "sorry, it's all gone" and the kids are fine with that.

If you think about it - when they get to school, and purchase a school plate lunch, they'll be served one serving of everything, and most schools don't have seconds available.

As far as snack time - I agree with a previous response that a snack is a snack and not a meal. I keep snack time as quick and low-key as possible..and we are hurrying on to another activity...or the kids would be eating/munching all afternoon.