View Single Post
Unregistered 10:01 AM 02-20-2012
People who are looking not to pay when their child are not present or do not want to pay for vacation day-offs for the provider need to seek the title "baby-sitter" to watch their children. Fact of the matter is that people will seek the cheapest route and will make excuses to justify their reasons. It makes you wonder what are their priorities? Many, not all, have treated my business as that of a baby-sitter until it's tax time, then I am a business again. If you are a home provider and you are caring for more than 3 children then you are required to have a license. It is this very reason that I explain to the parent that they are reserving a spot on the license when they sign a contract. No matter if they bring their child or not, if they want to keep their spot. Payment must be received. My daycare is incorporated, fully licensed and insured. Not all providers will meet these requirements. Let's focus on my daycare as for I cannot speak for the others. My rate is $125 per week per child(all ages). The hours of operation are from 6am to 6pm or in simpler terms 60 hours. This does not include the time for preperation nor the time for clean up, grocery shopping, paperwork, emails, phone calls, etc...I actually awake at 5am preparing for opening and do not finish my day until 7PM the hour after close for cleaning purposes. This will increase my work hours to 70 hours a week plus the hour it takes to buy groceries of supplies ( which we do on Sunday's, a day that we are closed) bringing the total to 71 hours a week dedicated to my business. This equates to $1.76 per hour that I am making-from one childs daycare spot for the week. My wife has a teaching degree and runs a structed enviroment for the children in an actual daycare facility in our home. Our facility is better than a few of the local business daycares (this coming from the parents in our daycare, a reason why they left previous daycares in the first place due to cleanliness, and a structured loving environment). Our license is that of a business license except that we run our business from our home. The license is called a group home daycare license. It is this very reason that we follow the same guidelines of those daycares and close the same days that they are closed. Meaning that we expect paid vacation days off. Don't fall into the understanding that just because we work from home that we can be classified as baby-sitters, but instead understand that we care for your children as if they were our own. What is your child's good health and well being worth to you? Honestly one shouldn't be worried about paying one of the most important people in your life a little bit extra each year. If that doesnt do it for you then chalk it up this way; Each year the licensed childcare provider is required by law to complete 15 plus hours of classes to keep them up-to-date on all of the state requirements and changes in the guidelines for a licensed facility/ home. This also keeps the provider and all of it's employees (my wife and I) motivated and educated to do their JOB. So, take those 15 plus hours and apply that extra "provider vacation" money to that. We work hard for what we have as does ANY licensed childcare provider and we deserve the wages that we make.