View Single Post
dEHmom 11:01 AM 01-14-2011
I did not read every post as I just spent way too long reading the first half.

I'm not responding about ANYTHING I read but the original post.

This is my opinion........

As a provider, I do not expect you to pay for my holidays. However, I expect a monthly fee regardless of days/hours used. This is so that I know how much income I have coming in, and I can adjust my bill payments and expenses accordingly.

If... I think I'm getting 100 dollars this friday, and I go out and buy something on sale on my credit card, fully expecting to pay that back on friday, and you decide you are not bringing your child next week for the week because you are taking a last minute vacation, well, hmm......What am I going to do now?

If...you become sick tonight, and you won't be bringing your child for the rest of the week, should I have to then take a loss in my income even though I was ready, willing and capable of work today tomorrow and the next day?

If I decide to shut down for a week because of a family emergency, and I have to fly to _____ to deal with funeral arrangements or such, are you going to pay me for bereavment (no idea how to spell that) like most employees do? How about for Jury duty? This is time I was not expecting to have off, this is time where I will incur EXTRA expenses that I wasn't originally planning on. As a business owner, I can't expect myself to get paid when there is no money to pay this.

Most people on average can afford to put aside 10% of their paycheque into savings, but we are already putting aside approx 20% of our paycheques to put towards taxes (well some of us anyway) at tax time. If you are paying me 100/wk, that's 20 dollars I'm putting aside minimum. That means I have 80 dollars for the week to pay bills, buy gas, buy groceries FOR YOUR CHILD, feed myself and my family, etc etc. We also do not get group benefits, so should we choose to buy into benefits we are doing so at a much higher rate. We still need to go to the dentist, and fill prescriptions and what not. Ever consider what your prescription would be without your coverage?

Some daycare providers don't have their service maxed out, I know I don't. Currently I am trying to fill my full time spot. But I have 3 children of my own, allowed a max of 4 children INCLUDING my own, and only one of mine is in school full time. SO I only have 2 spots available, and I have to turn families down because I have one under 2 and one over 2 slots available and theirs are 3 and 5 yrs old, or something like that. So I can't just take anybody who wants to use my service.

So to sum it all up, no I don't expect you to pay me for my vacation off, but just remember when you're huffing and puffing about having to pay for days that you aren't bringing your child, that I work for WELL BELOW minimum wage. I often get a card for xmas, I feed, care for, and love your child, instill values in your child that will last a lifetime, I teach your child manners, maybe even how to use the potty, I SPEND MORE WAKING HOURS IN A DAY WITH YOUR CHILD THAN YOU, so please just respect the policies I have set out. If you signed it, you agreed to it, end of story. If you find that I charge too much, I'd like you to look around and see what other people are charging before you complain or walk away.

If everyone looked at it like some make it seem, like we chose to work from home, and watch kids for next to nothing, and yada yada, then there would be no daycare providers. Good luck finding a center with 1 opening for your child.