View Single Post
Crystal 01:16 PM 02-16-2010
This is always a touchy subject, for both parents and providers. As a parent, I can understand not wanting to pay for childcare when your child is not attending because your provider is closed for vacation. It's an added expense that can be relatively high. BUT, providers do need time off with their own family, time to refresh and rejuvinate after a years worth of work that can be very taxing to the mind, body and spirit - as a provider, I realize this all to well.

Now, I do charge for holidays, vacation time (mine as well as parents) etc. BUT, I do my best to be accomodating to families. I plan to take all major holidays off, but when I check with parents, if two or more families are working on a holiday I remain open for all of my families. I provide 6 months notice for vacation closures, which is consistently the same time each year and my families typically schedule their vacations for the same dates, so they are not paying for another provider to care for their children, and I have been lucky enough to spend parts of my vacations with some of my families.

I keep my rates below average, while still charging enough to provide a healthy lifestyle for my own family. This enables parents to afford my weekly fee, and paying for vacation time is less burdensome than paying an additional $20 per week for the entire year - which is what would have to be done in order for me to not charge for vacation time.

As a provider, I have never felt it was a fair or even legitimite discussion to throw at parents all of our added expenses related to our business, or the fact that per child we recieve very minimal wages...it's not accurate, we do not work with one child, we work with a group of children and get paid for each of them, which adds up to a pretty decent wage. And I don't look at it as an hourly thing either....we recieve a salary... a set amount, just like many others in many other fields, who also work 11-15 hours per day. It's not the parents fault that some providers do not have enough children to make a higher salary, and it's not fair to make them feel as though they do not pay enough because of it.

I also look at expenses like this. If I worked outside the home I'd be paying for commuting, plus spending up to an hour of time driving there, and then driving back (adds two hours to an 8 hour day), I'd be paying for clothing for my job, which I do now, but not nearly as much as when I was in management. I'd be paying for some of my lunches at restaruants....not always, but I would eat out with coworkers from time to time. Those are job related expenses, just like expenses related to caring for children. I'd also be dealing with co-worker draa and a boss whom I may or may not get along with.

BUT, I get to stay home, raise my own children, call the shots with my business and get to do the only job I have ever LOVED, make a difference in the lives of children.