View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 05-19-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Take a look at teacher salaries, teachers are paid for days of work. (usually 184 days)

Teachers are not paid for days that they do not work (summer). The can choose to have their pay spread out over 12 months.

As a day care provider, you are wanting to be paid for not working. If you can get this business good for you. Average teacher takes home $3500 a month, average day care nets $8000 a month (based on 8 kids). Thanks for providing care to our kids, but don't be greedy about it.
Holy buckets! Where in the world did you get that information? $8,000 per month! Do you mean centers or family child care because they are two VERY different settings and two VERY different rate policies but if you meant family child care then WOW! I want to live where you live!! I have more than 8 kids and have been FULL for many many years and I have never ever netted $8000 in a month AND I am on the higher side for what I charge for rates!!!!

My state ranks 16th for average teacher salaries and the average income for teachers in my state is $50,545 per year.

I found teacher salaries to be pretty interestig according to the AFT: http://www.employmentspot.com/employ...eacher-salary/
here is another site that list daycare costs per year. http://www.doodledays.com/index.php?...=61&Itemid=112

As you can see center care varies a lot from family child care and the fact that whether your child is an infant, toddler, preschooler or school ager also plays a huge role in costs. Simply saying child care providers net $8000 per month is unfair when there are so many variables involved.

I suppose the same can be siad about teacher's too. Whether you work in specialized teaching, elementary, middle or high school all plays a role in salary. Not to mention admin departments and other positions in the education departments.

FWIW~ for teacher's children, I charge a higher rate during the year to make up for summer absences as one option, the other option is to pay like everyone else and continue to attend like everyone else. I currently have 4 teachers and 3 come/pay all year and 1 stays home and takes the higher rate option. NONE have complained or thought I was unfair.