View Single Post
permanentvacation 12:22 PM 10-19-2011
Personally, I can't believe that a parent is taking a kidnapper to a daycare! If I was informed that someone had been a kidnapper, I would insist that they are not allowed on my property at all for the safety of the children.

I just called my supervisor. I was informed that there is no law stating that previous criminals - no matter what the charges - are not legally allowed on daycare property. However, as a homeowner, you can say that you do not want that specific person on your property. Also, that as a daycare provider, you are not allowed to leave someone who has not had their background check done and cleared unattended with the children, so you, the daycare provider, would have to be right there in the room or yard with the children anyway. She also said that even though there is no law stating that they can't enter daycare property, you as a homeowner can say who is or is not allowed on your property.

You could always terminate that child! Then you wouldn't have to worry about him being there on a consistant basis. However, if there are no real problems with that child or family, they might realize that the only reason you are getting rid of them is because of his background and they might cause problems with you.

They didn't have to tell you his history, since they did, you know to be more careful when he is around. You never know what any of your parents or the people that they allow to drop off/pick up their child's history or current issues are. But at least you do know theirs. I would personally be absoutely beside myself if a person who had previously kidnapped a child came anywhere near my daycare kids or my personal children!

If you have a good relationship with the parent, you might be able to let them know that you simply don't feel comfortable with him coming to your daycare and ask that either he stay in the car or not come with the parent at all.

I believe that you have the right as a homeowner to tell them you don't want that person on your property. Of course, that might cause problems between you and their family. But you should have the right to say who does or doesn't come on your property.

I have occassionally wondered myself about doing home daycare. When I get a call for an interview, sometimes I get a funny feeling and am not always comfortable with having strangers in my home. Think about it! We literally are inviting complete strangers in our home on a consistant basis! We are usually having them come in when it's only us, a woman, with a few little children, sometimes our own children are there as well. Yeah, I have times when I'm not too comfortable with that idea! I have also occassionally worried about the real estate agents who sit in an open house. You never know who shows up!