View Single Post
Unregistered 07:51 PM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by busymommy0420:
I just called my agent for my home owners insurance to add an umbrella policy for my in home daycare and they stated the company I have my policy does NOT do that and now that they know I have a daycare they are going to cancel my policy. I am a licensed daycare, able to watch up to 8 children in New York State. What am I going to do? We own our 2400 sq ft home and HAVE to have home owners insurance. Please help me! Who else has a policy with a home daycare?
Daycare/Business is excluded in most regular homeowner policies. SOME companies in a few states may offer an endorsement (rider) which is separate from your overall policy. I know where I work now, we do NOT offer any type of commercial business/small business OR daycare insurance rider. You could get a special liability policy just for daycare (I think the one I used, it might have been called DC ins services but I haven't been doing daycare in a while and was $344 per year but keep in mind this was the latest price back in 2010) and then fax proof of insurance to your current company. That may be enough for them to not choose to non-renew you. I don't believe it's customary for insurance companies to simply drop you until your current term expires and you are renewing, so you should have some time to get the paperwork together if they do not offer a rider (which it sounds like they don't).