View Single Post
pigletsmommy 01:21 PM 04-07-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You may be able to rent a home and run a daycare. It depends on the laws in TN. I also rent my home here in IL. I made sure it was OK with my landlord and that she would sign the permission form that DCFS sends her. Of course, there are things that I would like to do for my daycare that I can't or won't do, such as putting up a gate outside. You also have to worry about having to move sooner than you would like. Try to sign a lease that is longer than 1 year. It is still worth it for me because buying a house here is way too expensive. Property taxes, if I were to buy this house or any other house are 1/3 of my rent. At my previous rental they were 1/2 the cost of my rent.
Thanks! I'm going to call in the morning and see if there is any regulations regarding renting. The housing market is all over the place where I am at and I'm just still not that comfortable buying back into it. At least now I know its a possibility

Originally Posted by janarae:
I would get a receipt book of some sort so you can give her a receipt when she pays you. That way you will have a record of what she pays you also & for what days. If this is eating away at you though I think you need to talk with her & tell her your feelings. Whether she thinks she is or not she is takign advantage of you, especialy if she has failed to pay you. Good luck! You can do it!!!
Originally Posted by DBug:
I'm the type that hates confrontation and asking people for money too, so I went to giving bills to parents each week. I list their child's hours, the rate, any late fees or credit, and the grand total. I leave it in each child's cubby on their last day of care for the week and the parents see it first thing when they walk in. It's been sooo much easier with this system! There's no question at all any more with parents "forgetting". And I don't have to say a word :-) It works especially well for the "friends" I do daycare for. That, and I keep very detailed records of payments in case there's any disagreement. Any late fees are simply added to the grand total, and I issue a late payment notice each day they're overdue.

Bills may help in your situation -- I was nervous about it at first, but parents were pretty accepting. Maybe something like this would help your dc mom to "remember" when she's paid and when she hasn't ;-)
Ohhh... I love both of these ideas. These are definitely something I'm thinking about now. Thanks!

Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Be careful. Just because you don't consider this a business, your local officials might say otherwise. Since you are in an apt. bdg.

Thanks for the warning. I guess if there is a law prohibiting unregistered childcare in an apartment and a local official shows up then I will have to shut my doors and find another job.