View Single Post
daycare 03:39 PM 10-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
First, daycare....I am sorry for your loss. I can completely understand why you feel obligated to call no showing parents. It makes sense.

I also understand how mentally and emotionally the "what if" game can play on your sanity and acceptance and understanding of such a tragedy.

However, I care for 10 kids (sometimes 12). I cannot possibly pick up the slack for those times that a parent doesn't call me or show up at care. I will say that if it is highly unusual for a parent to no show, without calling, then I probably would call them. I might forget though because it does get crazy busy here in the mornings.

In your scenario, why didn't the dad's work call someone when he didn't show up? Why didn't the mom call and check up in her child? There are a lot of others that could've, should've and would've called to check on him too...I just don't always feel like ALL of this should become a child care providers responsibility.

Bottom line is that there will always be "what ifs" in all situations and I don't feel that a child care provider SHOULD have to call to check on a family.... especially because a big majority of the time, the family is simply being irresponsible and disrespectful.

If you have the time to do so, great! I would call. If you don't have the time, I don't think you should feel badly about that. It's simply a matter of what you (general you) as a provider feel lies within your realm of responsibility and what doesn't.

Some providers DO go above and beyond...some don't. NEITHER are wrong.
Of course I would never say someone would be wrong for not calling and in NO way am I saying that it is the responsibility of the daycare to be the one to call, I was just saying food for thought .....

I also have 12 kids daily and I know how crazy it can get to have to stop and make a phone call when you are needed else where......