View Single Post
NeedaVaca 04:59 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I COMPLETELY see why providers take 10 holidays and a week off here or there. I would also and I understand that your parents get paid time off.

However, my two daycare parents get NO paid time off at ALL. It also makes it harder that the mom of special dcg and her infant brother has NO family willing or able to care for the special dcg in case of illness or closing. Moms sister will occasionally be able to help with the baby but none of the family are willing or able to be trusted to do the things he medically fragile child needs. BUT, mom is able to re arrange if one of them is sick so that works. The other daycare mom has NO FAMILY whatsoever here and NO sick or vacation time whatsoever. I've had to exclude twice on one of the three kids since they started seven months ago. Mom was able to get off work for the kids illness.

However, if I had families who did traditional work, I would also ask for days off and vacation time. But the type of families I provider care for, it just isn't that way.

The rare time I HAVE to take time off for something, i let the two moms know ahead of time and they request that day off of work. I do take thanksgiving day, Christmas Day, and the Saturday before Christmas off. I let them know when they sign up and remind hem so they can request the day off work.
I go over my policy during the interview and would not take families that had no family nearby or ample days off. I have never had a problem with this and no one has ever not signed up due to my holiday/vacation days. The families I contract have grandparents and family to help,work from home with flexible schedules or work for the university with more days off than I actually take My DCP's have no problems with my time off They tell me to have a great day off!