View Single Post
e.j. 09:24 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Lets start off by saying I cut my maternity leave short by 3 weeks to help this family out. Their provider quit on them with no notice, so being nice I offered to help them out as she expressed they were in desperate need of care. I soon found out that she has a couple days off during the week and was still bringing the kids on those days! When I didn't even want to start yet...my baby was 3 weeks old and I missed out on spending quality time with her alone because this mom was soooo desperate for care. Instead I am sleep deprived caring for her kids while she does who knows what. I find it very rude of her and will never ever think about anyone else but myself and family from now on. I am so bitter about it I am thinking of terming!!
I'm not one who usually minds if a parent brings a child to me on their day off. As long as they're paying me to care for their child, I feel they have every right to spend their time as they see fit - as long as I have a way to reach them in case of emergency.

The above situation is a bit different, though. You cut your maternity leave short by 3 weeks to help the family out. That's a huge favor you did for them! You not only gave up one-on-one time with your new baby but also the rest you needed and could have had if you hadn't agreed to help the family out of their jam. It seems to me, the family should have returned the favor done for them by not taking advantage of your willingness to help them. They should have kept the kids home if they weren't working. I can understand why you're feeling upset.

Unless they're totally selfish people, though, they probably just never gave much thought to your side of things. If you're still in the middle of that aniticipated 3 week leave, I'd speak up. I'd explain that you were trying to help them out so they didn't miss work but that you'd appreciate it if they would keep the kids home on their days off so you can catch up on your rest and devote the extra time to your baby while you can. I wouldn't charge them for the days they don't bring the kids, though - although it would be nice of them to pay you anyway since you're going out of your way for them. Once your maternity leave is over, you could go back to full time hours/pay.

If your maternity leave is over by now, I think I'd try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just weren't thinking. Try to get past it if they're a good dc family otherwise. Live and learn. The next time someone asks for something, give some thought to what will work best for you and set some perameters around what you're willing to do and not willing to do.

Congratulations on the new baby!