View Single Post
Play Care 03:10 AM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Was your child able to participate in a normal routine? That has a lot to do with it also. If 1 dck is holding everyone else back from going outdoors, etc., a provider has to think about what's best for the group.
I'm sure your pedi can be trusted if you're comfortable enough with him/her and as much as I always trusted my own kids' pedi, there were times when he told me children diagnosed with pinkeye(or other things) could attend my daycare. I'm sorry but I do NOT want something like that running amok through 6 kids AND their families. I took care of a doctor's dd who got sick and my own dd, at 18 mo, contracted bronchiolitis from her, spending 2 nights in the hospital. I remember the dr.(my dcm) coming into the ER while we were there and asking me if I'd be going back home to open dc so she could bring her dd back.
If I'd known then what I know now.
Your provider has the final say as to whether or not your child needs to be excluded from her home dc. You either trust her and have reliable back-up or find someone else. That is your decision alone.

Several providers on this board have a policy that they do not accept a doctor's note for "return to care" because often doctors think minor illnesses are "no big deal." However a child who is even mildly ill can often be quite needy, making it impossible for the provider to care for other children.

One time I had a toddler who kept having major, blow out diarrhea. The doctor claimed it was a reaction to something he ate and not contagious, therefore he could be at day care. Um, no. I called for pick up after having to clean/sanitize him, toys, carpet, furniture, OTHER CHILDREN, etc.

In my case I wasn't refuting the doctor's diagnosis, just being clear that I wasn't going to be managing it.