View Single Post
Pestle 01:11 PM 03-20-2017
You write a VERY brief, formal letter that doesn't list all your reasons for leaving and does give a hard final date. Then, no matter what your employer says, you smile and reiterate, "I understand how you feel. However, my last day is X." If you plan on staying in this career, you might not want to make it sound as if your health is in conflict with the job; that'll make getting a good reference difficult. Likewise, you don't want to use it as an opportunity to criticize your employer. Just use a vague "for personal reasons."

You are an AT WILL EMPLOYEE. You can be terminated on the spot, and you can quit on the spot, for any reason at all. It's in your hands to keep it classy; you can't control how your employer reacts. Just give notice and maybe she'll accept it and maybe she won't, but she can't force anybody to stay a minute later than they want to.

3/20/17

Ms. Jones,
For personal reasons, I have decided to move on from Daycare X. I am tendering two week's notice. My final day of availability will be 4/3/2017.

I have enjoyed working with you and with the children and I'm grateful for the time I spent here.

With thanks,
Millie McDaycare